Saturday, November 28, 2009

Turkey Carcass Stock


Did you save the carcass of that delicious turkey you cooked up for Thanksgiving? I hope so, because it can be the base of so many good recipes. With this stock you can make soups, dumplings, stews, almost anything. Base your stock on the recipe you used to make your turkey to further enhance its flavors. Here's the one I made. Our first use will be to make some delicious, low-fat turkey and dumplings for dinner tonight! Watch for the recipe tomorrow.

Let's eat?

Turkey Carcass Stock
Makes 1.5 gallons of stock
Ingredients:
1 left-over turkey carcass
2 medium onions, chopped
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 parsnips, peeled and chopped
4 stalks of celery, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, peeled
2 bay leaves
4 sprigs of fresh thyme (plus whatever you used to season the turkey. I included 1 tablespoon each black peppercorns, fennel seeds, coriander seeds, and the top from the fennel bulb I had chopped for the stuffing)
1.5 gallons of water to cover

Directions:
Using a sharp knife, cut the carcass into smaller pieces. In a large pot, add the carcass, vegetables, bay leaves, thyme, and spices. Season with salt. Cover with water. Place the pot over medium heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to simmer and cook for 2 hours. Skim off any scum that rises to the surface. Remove from the heat and strain. Let cool and skim off any fat that comes to the surface.

4 comments:

mickimotomama said...

Bravo!!!

Noel said...

I sure did! I always have stock on hand in the kitchen. It's a must when it comes to my pantry staples. My recipe is very similar to yours. I add some mustard seeds to mine. I haven't tried fennel or coriander yet. I'll have to give them a try in my next batch. Thanks for sharing!

DianaHayes said...

The turkey carcass is gold to me. I grab it from my sister in law, because she's going to toss it. Can you believe that?

Buy Extenze said...

I want to bookmark the page so I can return here from you that you have done a fantastic job.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails