Friday, December 18, 2009

Mushroom/Shallot Sauce


Hey everyone! My apologies for taking so long to post. I have been traveling for work. I had planned to continue posting nightly. As you have seen, I didn't quite keep up with my hopes.

Better late than never, here's a recipe, adapted from one by the Food Network Kitchens

One of the great things about those old-fashioned steakhouses is the wonderful mushroom wine sauce. You don't need to spend that kind of money these days. Grill your own steak with your favorite rub or marinade and top it with this creamy mushroom/shallot sauce. It was wonderful over grilled steak, laid in a bed of sauteed fresh spinach. But it would also be fantastic on a turkey or beef burger.

Mushroom/Shallot Sauce
Makes 4-6 servings

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons unsalted light butter
1 pound assorted mushrooms, such as button, shiitake, cremini, or portobello, cleaned, trimmed and sliced
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 shallots, diced
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
1/4 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
Freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup dry red wine
2 tablespoons low-fat buttermilk
1 tablespoon finely chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
1 teaspoon finely sliced fresh chives

Directions:
Heat a skillet over medium-high heat, add the butter and mushrooms. Cook the mushrooms, tossing frequently, until browned, about 5 minutes. Season with the salt and pepper to taste. Add the garlic, shallot, thyme, and rosemary, and cook for 2 minutes more. Add the red wine and scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Cook until almost all the liquid has evaporated. Add the buttermilk, parsley, and chives and combine.

7 comments:

Mother Rimmy said...

Looks wonderful! I love the steak on the bed of spinach. Can you tell me how you saute your spinach? I always seem to cook mine too much and it comes out slimy. Could you use olive oil instead of butter, or would that change the flavor of the sauce?

Scott K said...

Thanks mom! You could try olive oil, it would probably have a slightly less creamy flavor. Let me know if you do and how it turns out. For the spinach, I melted 1tablespoon of light butter in a skillet, saute 3 or 4 minced garlic cloves and then toss in about 1 pound of spinach. I constantly turn it using tongs so that none of it sits directly on the heat very long. It was very tasty with the steak and the mushrooms.

Angie's Recipes said...

I like to stir-fry my spinach too, with lots of garlic! The sauce must have tasted great with chicken too as it contains shallot and rosemary!

Amanda said...

Oh that sounds delicious!

Jessie said...

yum! that shallot sauce sounds amazing!

Tasty Eats At Home said...

Sounds delicious. I'm typically a salt-and-pepper girl on my steak, but I could go for some of this. And no worries if you can't post nightly - I'm all about quality over quantity - so don't fret. :) We'll all be excited when you do post!

ARLENE said...

Sounds absolutely delicious and looks pretty points friendly, too.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails