Sunday, December 27, 2009

Oat-Buttermilk Pancakes

I have made what I think is an incredible discovery. You may already know about it: Whole wheat pastry flour.

In trying to find lighter, healthier versions of the food I love, I have incorporated more whole grains. Unfortunately, a little goes a long way and too much can dry things out. When I first heard of whole wheat pastry flour, I was told it doesn't have to be blended with white flour at all. So, I tried it out with this recipe.

I was expecting them to be dense, heavy, maybe even gritty. They were none of those things! These cakes have a nice creamy flavor, a little sweetness and are wonderfully satisfying.

I topped the cakes with real maple syrup...yes, I said real maple syrup. I've gone back and forth on this for some time. There are low-calorie versions of syrup, but they tend to be processed with all kinds of chemicals, and taste nowhere near as good. In the end, I decided the flavor, in small amounts was worth the calories.

And from the way they devoured them, I think Nancy and Quinn agree.

For my Weight Watchers friends, these cakes work out to about 2 points each, with two of them being plenty.

Let's eat!

Oat-Buttermilk Pancakes
Makes 6 to 8 servings
Ingredients:
2.5 cups  low-fat buttermilk
3/4 cup rolled oats
1.5 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup Egg Beaters or other egg substitute
1 teaspoon canola oil

Directions:
Combine buttermilk and oats in a bowl and let soak 20 minutes

In a medium bowl, stir together flour, wheat germ, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder cinnamon and salt. Separately, whisk together Egg Beaters and oil. Combine flour, buttermilk and egg mixtures and stir together with a wooden spoon until just mixed.

Spray griddle with non-stick and heat over medium to medium low heat. Pour 1/4 cup of mixture per cake and cook until bubbles pop and the bottom is browned, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook until the underside is browned, about 1 minute. These cakes will be browner than traditional cakes. Transfer cooked cakes to a platter and keep warm in an oven set at 200F. Repeat with remaining batter.
Oat-Buttermilk Pancakes on Foodista

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yummy! Thanks for the hint about the pastry flour!

Voni
sMiling

Mother Rimmy said...

These sound delicious, and I love that you use real maple syrup. The flavor is so much better, and a little goes a long way.

Tasty Eats At Home said...

Before I went gluten-free, I used whole wheat pastry flour. It's awesome for making healthier baked goods! You have to check out this blog, if you don't already know about it - 101cookbooks.com. Heidi, the owner, uses it in her baked goods and they all look amazing. She has wonderfully healthy, delicious recipes.
Anyway, wonderful pancakes! Yum!

penny aka jeroxie said...

I should be making some of these after all these excessive eating and drinking.

Sook said...

I've been hearing about oat buttermilk pancakes lately. Sure looks wonderful!

MP said...

I haven't tried whole wheat pastry flour...yet. These pancakes sound delicious!

Georgie Fear said...

Whole wheat pastry flour is great - I use for all my whole wheat baking: cookies, muffins, etc.

Another find you may love (I do!) is white whole wheat flour - it is whole grain but comes from a variety of wheat that is lighter in color and doesnt have the stronger flavor of regular whole wheat. I'ts light in color (good for chocolate chip cookies, etc) Best of all, they carry it in many large grocery stores. I buy King Arthur Flour, but there's others.

Georgie Fear RD
www.AskGeorgie.com

Jennifer@womanvfood said...

mmm, I love all sorts of pancakes! Happy pancake day!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails