Monday, December 21, 2009

Savory Eggplant Parmesan


You all know I have a thing about red sauce. I swear, I'd eat shoe leather if it were covered with a good marinara! But I'd much prefer a good eggplant Parmesan! You wouldn't know this version is lightened up because it is so loaded with flavors and textures.

Eggplant for this dish is traditionally breaded and fried. I baked it instead, used part-skim cheese and a made-from-scratch marinara filled with carrots, celery, onions and herbs. I'll post that recipe sometime soon.  I served it with a mixed greens salad.

For my Weight Watchers friends, this works out to about 3 points a serving.

Let's eat!

Savory Eggplant Parmesan
Makes 8 servings
Ingredients:
1-2 medium eggplants, enough for 18-21 1/3-inch slices
3-4 cups of your favorite marinara
1/2 cup Egg Beaters or other egg substitute
1 cup Italian-style bread crumbs
8 oz part-skim or 2 % mozzarella cheese(divided)
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese (divided)




Directions:
Preheat oven to 350F.

Dip eggplant slices in egg substitute and dredge in the bread crumbs. Arrange them on foil-covered baking sheet. Bake 25 minutes, turning once, until golden brown.

Spray 9"X13" baking dish and spread about 1/2 -1cup of sauce on the bottom. Top with one layer of eggplant, about 6 pieces, and layer about 1 cup of sauce and a third of mozzarella and Parmesan on top. Repeat the process twice more.



Bake for about 10 minutes, until cheese is lightly brown and sauce is bubbling. Cut into 8 pieces and serve hot.


7 comments:

Kaylie said...

Looks delicious! I have never been a fan of eggplant but I haven't tried it this way. It looks like I'll be trying something new maybe next week!

geoff said...

My mom makes zucchini lasagna and it looks a lot like this. I love it. It is a family favorite.

Peggy said...

eggplant parmesan is one of my favorites! i'll give this a go soon!

MP said...

I don't fry my eggplant either and it's delicious. I'm looking forward to trying your recipe--it's making my mouth water to just look at the pictures!

tastyeatsathome said...

Yum - I love eggplant parmesan!

Alisa said...

Ive heard about a recipe like this before but never got around to make one.I'm looking forward to making this one soon, it looks so delicious!

Anonymous said...

I like this whole recipe. Baking the eggplant, the lowfat cheese,all the things that help us keep our bodies healthy and our taste buds satisfied.Thank You.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails