Sunday, January 3, 2010

Light and Luscious Fish Chowder

The old me, the one that weighed more than 300 pounds, was not a fan of soup. How can soup be enough to eat? Then, when I started my weight-loss journey, I learned how a good, healthy soup could be a great tool, and tasty too. But, certainly, healthy eating could not include chowders, traditionally made with bacon and cream. Thankfully, I was as wrong about that as I originally was about soup in general.

This soup is easy to do, creamy, flavorful and healthy. My wife, who loves chowder, was the first to go back for seconds. Even more telling, my 15-year-old son, who is convinced he doesn't like fish, chowed-down non-stop! To lighten traditional chowder, I used Canadian bacon, a wonderful lower-fat alternative to bacon, and a combination of evaporated skim and buttermilk for the evaporated and whole milk most often used. These provide the same creamy texture and flavor without all the fat.

Substitutions are a very important part of light cooking. When you think about your favorite recipes, break them down and look for places where you can substitute healthier ingredients--extra lean ground beef or turkey for burgers, applesauce for oil in backing, whole wheat pasta for traditional pasta. Watch for more healthy substitutions in the near future. Here are some suggestions from the U.S. Department Health and Human Services

For my Weight Watchers friends, this recipe works out to 6 points a serving.

Let's eat!

Light and Luscious Fish Chowder
Makes 8 servings (1 to 1.5 cups each)
Ingredients:
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 pound Canadian bacon, diced
1 large onion, diced
5 medium potatoes, diced
1.5 pounds cod (cut into bite-size pieces)
12 ounces evaporated skim milk
1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
2 tablespoons light butter
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
In a stock or soup pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add  Canadian bacon and saute until edges are crispy.

Reduce heat to medium and add onion, saute until tender. Add potatoes and fill with just enough water to cover them. Bring to a boil and and cook until potatoes are tender, about 5 minutes.

Add fish, evaporated milk, buttermilk, and light butter. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.

Serve with corn bread or a hearty whole-grain bread.

Chowder on Foodista

10 comments:

penny aka jeroxie said...

evaporated milk, buttermilk, and light butter - I love it!

MP said...

I'm really looking forward to trying this one!

Suzee said...

This one looks great! I'm going to have to try it!

Scott Koeneman said...

Thanks all.

Sandra said...

You said Canadian bacon...with that included it must taste awesome!

trailtotrain said...

This looks wonderful! I'm def. planning on making it. :) Thanks for the recipe!

Kate @ Diethood.com said...

hehe you sound like my husband - when there's a bowl of soup in front of him he always says, 'please tell me this isn't it!' :))
But he does love a good bowl of fish chowder - thank you for sharing - he will definitely be satisfied with just a bowl of this!

Tiffany said...

Thank you for this lighter version of chowder, it sounds wonderful! I've been watching my weight for a few weeks now and I am looking just such recipes, this is perfect!

Torviewtoronto said...

delicious healthy chowder the addition of buttermilk looks good

Spicie Foodie said...

Who would have thought a creamy luscious chowder could be so healthy and look so good! Normally I stay away from creamy soups or sauces because of the fat. Sometimes I just use milk but I am definitely going to try your mix and fish chowder. Great recipe!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails