Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Potato-Asparagus-Gruyere Frittata


How is everyone doing on their healthy living resolutions? If you're like most of us, there are times during the day when you really want something, but there aren't many good choices around. For me, that usually comes around 3 or 4 p.m. Instead of going to junk-food machine, or grabbing that pastry at the coffee shop, remember to bring some healthy snacks with you. That way, you have control over what and how much you're eating (portion size is important). I try to keep some oat and chocolate Fiber One bars around. They're like eating a candy bar, but WAY better for you. I also keep packets of instant oatmeal in my desk drawer. Oatmeal is incredibly filling. Baggies of pretzels, backed chips or raw veggies are good too.

You can do it. I have faith in you.

Today's recipe is based on one of my favorites from Weight Watchers. I love breakfasts. I made this on a recent Saturday morning, but it could just as easily serve as a dinner entree. It's low-calorie, very flavorful, and quick and easy to make. The other great thing is you can feel free to substitute what you have around the house in this. Don't have asparagus, use some broccoli. No Gruyere, use another flavorful cheese. Or, toss in some additional veggies or a low-fat meat  like chicken or Canadian bacon to bulk it up. This version  is only 250 calories with 10 grams of fat and 4 grams of fiber. It is a good source of protein, itamin A, Vitamin C, Riboflavin, Folate, Phosphorus, Potassium and Selenium, and a very good source of Vitamin K. (Nutrition facts provided by Nutrition Data)

Let's eat!

Potato-Asparagus-Gruyere Frittata
Makes 4 servings
Ingredients:
4 large eggs
4 large egg whites
1/2 cup low-fat (1% or skim) milk
1/4 cup Gruyere cheese, shredded
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
3 small red potatoes, sliced thin (1/4 inch or less)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1 tablespoon light unsalted butter
6 scallions, sliced thin
12 pieces asparagus, tough ends removed and chopped into 1-inch pieces

Directions:
Whisk eggs, egg whites and milk together in a large bowl. Gently stir in the cheese and set aside.

Spray a 10 or 12 inch ovenproof skillet (I love using my cast-iron Lodge skillet for this) with olive oil. Saute potatoes with salt and pepper over medium-high heat until they are soft and browned. Set aside.

Heat butter in the same skillet and saute scallions and asparagus until just tender. Set aside.

Arrange potatoes so that they cover the bottom of the skillet, top with asparagus and scallion mixture, pour the egg mixture over the top. Cook over medium-low heat until the bottom of the egg mixture has begun to set up. Do not stir!

Meanwhile, preheat broiler (set at medium).

Place the skillet about 5 inches from from the broiler and cook until the frittata is cooked through and the top browned.

Cut into 4 wedges and serve with whole-wheat toast.

Gruyere Cheese on Foodista

11 comments:

NOELLE said...

Great healthy recipe! Way to go on keeping your goals!

Tasty Eats At Home said...

Looks delicious - I'm glad you balanced the frittata with SOME whole eggs - then you get some flavor in there. (I'm not a fan of all-egg-white anything!) Love the veggies.

Janice said...

That's a great light version of a frittata. That reminds me, I need to buy some healthy snacks around that 3-4 pm time slot. Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe

Tasty Trix said...

I LOVE frittatas. Love them. They're really great for lunch, mmmm!

Squeaky Gourmet said...

I love this! YUMMY!!

Sortachef said...

Great recipe, Scott - Thanks. Reminds me how much I love frittatas! :-)

ARLENE said...

Great advice, great recipe. Coincidentally, I had already planned to make a potato and roasted red pepper frittata for dinner Friday.

Ms Bibi said...

That looks awesome. Someone else just posted Frittata recipe and I realized it's been a long time since I made one.

penny aka jeroxie said...

Nice fritatta. I love it for sunday brunch. perfect!

Emily Malloy (Ziegler) said...

Scott, you're right! This is heavenly!

Sara Fillmore said...

The abysmal you dig into the content and communicate us the precise aggregation is appreciable.
cookingrecipetips

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails