Friday, February 19, 2010

Mushroom-Turkey Roulade with Cranberry Sauce


Roulade comes from French and means "to roll." Most often, it is some kind of meat surrounding vegetables or cheese. For this dish, I wanted to use turkey breast. That meant the stuffing had to be something that would not overpower the subtle flavor of the turkey--what could be better than mushrooms! I've also wanted to play with herbs de Provence and saw this as the perfect dish for it.I topped it with one of our favorite cranberry sauces.

I loved how the stuffing came out. The herbs, the mushroom stuffing were incredibly flavorful and you could still get the flavor of the turkey through it. And, it was all very light, one serving was only 138 calories with 2 grams of fat and 2 of fiber.

Mushroom-Turkey Roulade
Makes 10 servings
Ingredients:
1 tablespoon light butter
2 leeks, cleaned and sliced
1 stalk celery, sliced
1 carrot, peeled and sliced
2 cups sliced mushrooms
2 teaspoons herbs de Provence
2 shallots, minced
1 cup chicken stock
2 cups toasted whole wheat bread crumbs
2-1/2 pound turkey breast half
Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
cranberry sauce

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375

In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add leeks, celery and carrots and saute for 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook until they are tender. Add shallots and herbs and cook for an additional two minutes. Add the stock and bring to a simmer. Season with salt and fresh ground pepper to taste. 

In a large bowl, add bread crumbs and and pour in mixture. Mix well and set aside to cool.

Butterfly turkey breast and pound to an even thickness. Spoon the stuffing down the middle of the turkey, roll and tie with twine. Place in a baking dish, cover and bake 45 minutes to 1 hour, until thermometer reads 150F. Remove and allow to rest 10 minutes. Remove twine and slice. Serve with cranberry sauce.




Turkey-Mushroom Roulade on Foodista

11 comments:

MP said...

This dish looks like you went to tremendous trouble, and it has to be delicious!

Kara Hadley said...

1) That looks amazing!
2) I don't understand how something that yummy looking can possibly be that low in calories and fat, but I'm not questioning it.
3) Can you adopt me and cook for me every night? haha

Scott K said...

Thanks guys! I'm glad it looks like I went to a lot of trouble, but it was actually pretty easy!

Megan said...

What a great dish. Loads of flavor with out a lot of calories. I think I'll be looking for a nice turkey breast next grocery shopping trip.

Ms Bibi said...

That looks absolutely delicious. I love using turkey breast. It's so tasty.

DailyChef said...

I really love how you can make "real" dishes low in calories and fat. Amazing.

Anonymous said...

Another yummy recipe!
Thank you!!!

So what is a serving size @ 138 cal. 2g. fat 2 fib?
Ounces?

Sook said...

Oh this recipe looks wonderful!

Mags said...

Great recipe Scott. I'm always on the lookout for turkey recipes and I love that you used whole wheat bread crumbs for this.

Scott K said...

I can't give you an exact measurement because it depends on your stuffing, etc. I just slice it into 10 equal pieces, about 1/4 pound of meat, plus the stuffing.

Nutrition info is according to NutritionData.

Debbie Moore said...

I love herbs de Provence and leeks!
This sounds wonderful!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails