Thursday, February 11, 2010

What's better than a buger? A Chipotle-Salsa Burger!

 

When I was starting my weight loss journey, I was worried about having to give up the food I love. I have to admit that high on that list was a juicy burger (thus the need for the weight loss). One of the things I loved about a great burger was the juiciness of it. Juicy and lean, I thought, didn't go together. But, after learning more about food and cooking and playing with more than a few recipes, this became one of my favorites.

Smokey, zesty, and juicy, the burger, onion and 2 tablespoons of salsa (not including bun and cheese) is only 157 calories, with 5 grams of fat and 1 of fiber. I serve it on an Arnold's Round with a slice of reduced fat cheddar. Baked fries and an empty-the-veggie-drawer chop salad rounded it all out.

On another note, Valentine's day is coming quick. Some tips for staying healthy over a holiday usually loaded with fat and sugar:
  • Instead of a big box of chocolate and flowers, ask for or give a fresh fruit bouquet or basket and a couple pieces of fine chocolates.
  • Get dark instead of milk chocolates, they're better for you and are said to be an aphrodisiac. 
  • Plan ahead for dinner out. Check the restaurant menu online and find something you won't feel guilty about the next day.
  • If you decide to go with a rich dish, ask for a to-go box when you order and put half of it away. 
  • Get some activity in before you go out.
  • Have a snack before you go out so that if you get stuck waiting for a table, you're not ravenous by the time the food arrives.
Let's eat!

Chipotle-Salsa Burger
Makes 4 servings
Ingredients:
3/4 pound lean (93 or 95 percent lean) ground beef
1/4 cup Egg Beaters or other egg substitute
3 tablespoons Panko or other bread crumb
2 chipotle peppers in adobo, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 slices red onion
8 tablespoons salsa
4 Arnolds Rounds or other multi-grain bun

Directions:
Combine first six ingredients in a large bowl, shape into four patties.

Heat a skillet sprayed with non-stick over medium-high heat. Cook burgers until done (160F internal temperature) about 5 minutes a side.

Top with cheese (if desired), one onion slice and two tablespoons salsa.

Deal of the day: You can't get much further down the spectrum from a burger than Julia Childs' Mastering the Art of French Cooking, but Amazon has the hardback reduced to below the paperback price! If you loved Julie and Julia as much as I did and wanted to get the cookbook that started it all, now's your chance.

Ground Beef on Foodista

15 comments:

Kara Hadley said...

I don't remember the last time that I had a burger that sounded this good. But I always have a hard time finding beef that lean. This has made me want to keep looking, though.

Jennifer@womanvfood said...

some great tips Scott!

Chow and Chatter said...

looks great

DailyChef said...

I love the panko/bread crumbs that you put in! Brilliant!

megan said...

Sounds like a tasty burger! I love the chipotle added!

NOELLE said...

Hey congrats on your pasta maker win!

Sandy said...

Your burger sounds delicious. It is just what I am in the mood for.

Michelle said...

Gorgeous open-faced burger! Never thought to serve them open-faced! Good idea!! Michelle

ravienomnoms said...

That looks super awesome!! Totally right up my alley!

Wilde in the Kitchen said...

These burgers sound yummy! I wonder if they would be as juicy be replacing the beff with ground chicken or turkey? Love the addition of chipotles.

Scott K said...

Wilde, When I do burgers with turkey or chicken, I try to add some veggies into the meat to keep them moist. For this, you might shred the red onion and mix it into the meat instead of putting a slice on top.

Kate @ Diethood.com said...

Wow, that's a delicious burger!! Bonus points on the chipotle! :)

Eftychia said...

Nothing is better than a Burger my friend!! Thanks for sharing!!!!!!!!!!

Drick said...

now this just sounds great - tasty and full flavored with a kick to remind ya of past ventures...

Deeba PAB said...

Chipotle isright up my street. Love this

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails