Friday, March 12, 2010

Cheesy Spinach Dip




I recently got an email from a friend, including this recipe, asking me my thoughts. When I saw it, my first thought was WOW, this looks healthy and tasty.

One of the worst things you can do if you're trying to lose weight or live a healthy lifestyle is let yourself get too hungry. To avoid that, keep healthy, tasty snacks readily available. This recipe is perfect for that. Make up a batch and keep it in the fridge for those times you need a little something. Have it with some baked whole wheat pita chips or healthy crackers.

I made it last night, tweeking some as I went. I added some non-fat ricotta cheese to smooth it out a little (you might try half as much low-fat cream cheese), as well as some red onion. I'm a huge fan of balsamic and have some 12-year-old on hand, so I doubled the amount in the original recipe. It came out a beautiful deep green, creamy, and very delicious. A heaping 2 tablespoon serving of this came out to only 40 calories with 1 gram of fat and 1 of fiber.

Let's eat!

Cheesy Spinach Dip
Makes about 20 servings
Ingredients:
1 teaspoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1 10-ounce bag fresh spinach or 2 (6-ounce) bags baby spinach (pre-washed)
1 (14.5-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
½ cup red onion, diced
½ cup non-fat ricotta cheese
1 tablespoon (or more) fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

Directions
In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and onion and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add spinach and cook on low heat until fully wilted --do not overcook. Remove spinach to a bowl to cool.

Combine the cooked spinach mixture, beans, cheese, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper in a food processor. If it all doesn't fit at first, pulse a few times with 1/2 the spinach, and then
add the rest.

Blend until mixture is to the consistency you like. Serve with tortilla, pita, or veggies.


Deal of the day:
This Cuisinart Pro Classic 7-Cup Food Processor is on sale for nearly half off!

3 comments:

Sweet and Savory said...

I love a good spinach dip!

DailyChef said...

Spinach dip is one of my favorites, especially when it's nice and cheesy! I think I prefer it even over guacamole, though it's close...

Renee Fontes said...

That looks great Scott! I keep a raw veggie platter in the fridge to snack on all the time. I have been making a dip of strained Greek yogurt with herbs, but I need a change. This dip could do the trick!
You were asking about the Mahi Mahi in orange chimichuri, you don't need stock, the fish makes plenty of it's own when cooked in parchment.
Thanks! Renee

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails