Monday, March 8, 2010

Chicken Curry

 

I'm a spice fanatic. The spicier, the better. Thai, Indian, Mexican, I love it all. I have to be careful though, neither Nancy nor Quinn like as much heat in their food as I do. What we can all agree on, though, is Indian. On those nights when we're planning on take-out, we more often then not end up with Indian. When it comes to take-out, Indian offers many healthy options.

But, for some reason, I've been hesitant to try cooking it myself. Maybe it was because we love it so much, I just didn't want to disappoint. I can happily say this dish didn't. The curry was flavorful, with a mild heat, that didn't overwhelm the other ingredients. I especially love how just a hint of the cinnamon came through. If you do like some real heat in your curry, I would increase the amount of cumin and curry powder you use. 

Making this dish all the better, one serving of the curry is only 205 calories with 2 grams of fat and 4 of fiber. I served it over Basmati rice. Nancy made a delicious whole-wheat naan to go with it. Watch for that recipe tomorrow.

Chicken Curry
Makes 6 servings
Ingredients:
1 teaspoon oil (canola or olive)
1 pound skinless chicken breast, cubed
1 medium onion, diced
4 carrots, peeled and sliced
1 pound red potatoes, cubed
2 teaspoons cumin
1-1/2 teaspoons red curry powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
4 teaspoons whole wheat pastry flour (you can use all purpose if you prefer)
2 cups chicken stock
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
1/4 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
salt and pepper to taste

In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and saute until cooked through. Set aside and cover.

Add onion and saute until tender. Add carrots and potatoes, stir. Add cumin, curry and cinnamon and stir in. Add flour and coat, cook for an additional minute.

Add stock, bring to a boil, stirring until thickened. Return chicken to the skillet. Reduce heat to low and simmer until potatoes are cooked, about 20 minutes.

Add peas and yogurt and stir in. Continue to simmer until heated through. 

Serve with rice and naan.

Deal of the Day: I use this Black &Decker Rice Cooker myself and it works incredibly well, on sale at Amazon.


Curry on Foodista

11 comments:

Kara Hadley said...

1) That sounds delicious. 2) I'm so happy to see a curry recipe that doesn't require upwards of 12 different spices (my spice rack is slim pickings). 3) Everyone around me is afraid of heat and I love it. Cooking for them is a constant struggle. haha

miri goes phishing! said...

Scott..you have made the recipe look really simple n' easy to make...i love a simple recipe...n'i love spicy food somtimes to the extend that when the dish isn't spicy i think its not tasty enough...n' i love indian food too...

this is my first visit to your blog...i don't know if you have already used this in your recipes....but try the ingredient "Kasoori Methi" or "dried fenugreek leaves" in your indian dishes....i have started using it only recently n' i feel it improves the taste so much...:)

denise @ quickies on the dinner table said...

Nice uncomplicated recipe with the bonus of lots of veggies!

Evan Halperin said...

I expected to see Coconut milk and I do not. Looks excellent, never thought about yogurt

Scott K said...

Thanks all. I didn't use coconut milk because it is so high in fat. I used the yogurt to try and get the same kind of creaminess in the sauce.

redkathy said...

Spicy and hot, this one is perfect for me. Never used red curry; now you have me thinking, this sounds so good I had better go buy some!

Scott K said...

Kathy, it was my first time using it too. I would double the cumin and curry powder if you like it spicy and hot. This version is medium to mild.

DailyChef said...

Glad to hear your Indian cooking experience came out well! I'm also hesitant to cook Indian sometimes because I love the restaurant spices so much. Maybe there's still hope for me...

Second Samosa said...

Thanks for the DM, Scott - I recently started following. I cook a fair amount of Indian food (grew up with it), and while I usually use individual spices, this (link below) mix from Everest (found at pretty much every Indian store) is pretty good. Maybe you've already used it, but the same process (chicken+cumin+mix+yogurt) with this mix produces a restaurant "Butter Chicken" flavor and is pretty great.

Going to try your naan recipe this weekend!

http://www.everestspices.com/masalas/tandoori-chicken-masala )

Scott K said...

Samosa, thanks for the suggestion! Knowing that "real" Indian cooking uses combining individual spices (I love that they are usually heated in a dry skillet before being ground to bring out the oils and flavors)is one reason for my hesitation. I'll get there, eventually. In the meantime, I'll get some of the mix you suggested and try it out.

Thanks again for following!

Buy Extenze said...

I didn't use coconut milk because it is so high in fat. I used the yogurt to try and get the same kind of creaminess in the sauce.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails