Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Horsey Parsnip Puree


I’m addicted to cooking and cooking competition shows. I admit it. When it comes to the competition shows, like “Iron Chef America” I regularly get grief from Nancy and Quinn. Their point is the competition shows don’t really teach you how to prepare a dish. You might get a quick rundown of ingredients or a fast shot of the preparation, but certainly nothing like a recipe. My response is that, besides just being plain fun to watch, they give me ideas.

And here’s my proof! While watching a recent “Iron Chef America,” I heard the words “served with a parsnip puree.” The little bell in my head started going DING DING DING! Nancy and I love parsnips, that carrot-like sweet flavor is just incredible. Most commonly, I have used them with other root vegetables with a roast or in a vegetable blend. The idea of a puree, with complimenting flavors sounded wonderful.

The puree was smooth and tasted very rich, even though it wasn’t. The horseradish gives a little kick that comes in right behind the sweetness of the parsnips. And one serving is only 128 calories with 0 fat and 6 grams of fiber!

I served the puree with a spice rubbed pork tenderloin and glazed carrots and pearl onions. We will definitely be making this again.

Let’s eat!

Parsnip Pure
Makes 6 servings
Ingredients:
3 parsnips, chopped into even pieces
2 medium potatoes, cut into similarly sized pieces
2 ounces evaporated fat-free milk
2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Add potatoes and parsnips to a medium pot and just cover with water. Season lightly with salt and heat, bringing to a boil. Simmer until potatoes are tender. Drain and add potatoes, parsnips and evaporated milk to a food processor or blender. Process until they reach the consistency of mashed potatoes. Add horseradish, salt and pepper, and puree.

Print Recipe

Deal of the Day: You don't have to spend big money on a food processor that will do most of what you want. Check out this Black & Decker Quick 'N Easy Plus Food Processor on sale for less than $45.
Parsnip on Foodista

6 comments:

bunkycooks said...

Hi Scott,

I just nominated you for the Sunshine Award! I hope you will accept! :)
My post will be up shortly!

Gwen

Jason said...

You are so right! I get lots of ideas from some bad food shows.

Parsnips are great, though, aren't they?! There's a great cauliflower & parsnip curry in the Veganomicon cookbook that I highly recommend.

Ms Bibi said...

I love to watch the competition cooking and baking shows just for the ideas.

One I can't really get my head around is Chopped. Can't stand that one.

What an awesome recipe.I love parsnips and my kids are actually getting use to them as well.

Wendy said...

Can't wait to try this! :) Can you tell me how you make the glazed carrots and pearl onions? Thanks

Scott K said...

Wendy,

3 cups chopped carrots (about 1-inch pieces)
2 cups pearl onions, thawed
4 to 5 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
1 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/4 cups water

Place all of the ingredients in a skillet and, over high heat, bring to a boil. Continue to cook until the carrots are crisp-tender and the liquid has reduced almost completely, about 8 to 10 minutes.

Wendy said...

Scott....thank you so much!!! :) Your recipes are great!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails