Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Nancy's Whole Wheat Bread Machine Naan


Yesterday I offered up my first attempt at curry. When I told Nancy what I was going to make, the first thing she said was, "You're making naan with it, right?"

What is Indian food without naan? But if I have some trepidation when it comes to cooking Indian, baking puts fear in my heart. Well, maybe not fear, but my early attempts were absolute failures. I've gotten better, mostly by realizing that baking is NOT cooking. You can often play with a recipe, but there are certain things, when it comes to baking, you have to be very exacting about.

I think Nancy read my mind when she asked me about the naan. She quickly smiled and said, "I'll make it."

This healthier version was hearty and delicious and doubles as sandwich bread. Each serving, half a large piece, is 182 calories with 4 grams of fat and 3 of fiber.


Nancy's Whole Wheat Naan
Makes 12 servings
Ingredients:
2/3 cup warm skim milk
2 teaspoons melted butter or margarine
2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1/2 pound all-purpose flour
1/2 pound whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons olive oil
2/3 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
1 large egg
2 teaspoons sugar

Directions:
In the mixing bowl of bread machine, combine milk, butter, yeast and half the sugar and set aside for 5 minutes.

In a bowl, combine flours, salt and baking powder. Add mixture to bread machine bowl. Add oil, yogurt, egg and remaining sugar.

Set the bread machine to the dough setting and run.Whole wheat flour often requires additional liquid so watch and, if the mixture appears dry, add water in small amounts.

Preheat oven to 500F.

If you have a baking stone, place it on the top rack of the oven to preheat.

Remove dough and separate into 6 equal pieces.Using a rolling pin or your hands, flatten dough out to about 1/3-inch thickness.

One or two at a time, place pieces on your stone on the top rack of the oven for 90 seconds. The naan will begin to puff up. Switch your oven to broil and continue until top browns. Remove and repeat with remaining pieces.

Remove and cover with a towel to keep warm.


Deal of the Day: We love our bread machine, Amazon has a number of them, including this Zojirushi Home Bakery Supreme Bread Machine on sale.

1 comments:

BrandonHarris said...

Hey! I am so excited to find out if you attract a lot of traffic to this weblog?

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails