Friday, March 19, 2010

Pork Butt Redux: BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches



Yesterday I posted about my Braised Spicy Pork Butt. I wrote about dividing the whole piece of pork shoulder into individual roasts, but suggested you braise all of them, usually three, at once and to freeze the other two, as well as separately frozen braising liquid.

These sandwiches are a perfect use for those leftovers and are incredibly easy to do. I simply grab one of the roasts and liquid straight out of the freezer, throw them both in the slow cooker before I leave for work, set it on low and let it cook all day. By that evening, the meat is so tender you have to be careful pulling it out of the slow cooker because it is just falling apart.

I serve it on whole wheat buns and top it with some home-made bbq sauce (recipe below) and chipotle slaw. The slaw adds three wonderful things to this sandwich. First, it adds some crunch and I love the variety in texture. I also really like the flavor of the chipotle with the meat. But, most importantly for those of us trying to lose weight or live a more healthy lifestyle, it offers a healthy, tasty,  low-calorie, filling food. We should be keeping our meet portions small and adding the slaw gives you the reality of a hefty sandwich.

I served mine with some home-made baked chips. These are simple and easy to do. Just thinly slice potatoes and, in a sealable plastic bag, add the potato slices, a teaspoon or two of olive or canola oil, and your favorite seasonings. I like to use a little salt, fresh ground pepper and garlic powder. Spread them in a single layer on foil-lined baking sheets and bake at 425f until brown and crispy.

Let's eat!

Texas Style BBQ Sauce
Makes 4 cups
Ingredients:
1 teaspoon canola oil
2 medium onions, diced
4-6 jalapenos, deseeded and minced
10 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup tomato puree
3/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
3/4 cup black coffee, the stronger the better
1/4 cup dark molasses
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup chili powder
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1-1/2 teaspoons cumin
1-1/2 teaspoons salt

Directions:
In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium head, add onions, peppers and garlic, saute until tender.

Mix in remaining ingredients and cook 30 to 40 minutes.

Optional: Strain sauce and puree solids. Return puree to the sauce and refrigerate overnight.

Deal of the day: I use a mandoline for getting the potatoes thin for my chips. You can get this Kyocera Adjustable Mandoline Slicer on Amazon for $22.99.

Barbecue Pulled Pork on Foodista

6 comments:

Melissa Peterman said...

Hey Scott! Okay, tell me about the difference between Texas style BBQ and say another type?

Scott K said...

Melissa, a Texas sauce is going to be spicy, compared to say and Kansas City sauce, which will be sweet, or a Carolina sauce that will be vinegar based. Hope that helps.

Bo said...

I could really get into this meal! The coffee in the sauce sounds like a good idea. I live in Alabama where the sauce is vinegar based, but very sweet.

Sam said...

You're speaking my language. Sandwiches like this are what make the world a better place. I'd be honored to have you visit my blog. Awesome, Keri (a.k.a. Sam)

Renee Fontes said...

Scott, This is a great blog,I love the way you did the second post on the pork sandwich! I agree that homemade braised pork on a whole wheat bun with the slaw for volume is a great healthy yet satisfying meal. You made it over the top!

Scott K said...

thanks all!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails