Monday, April 19, 2010

Chickpeas 3-ways Part 2: Chickepea Salad


Yesterday, I posted a Mediterranean Spiced Chicken with Hummus and Tomato Relish. It was part of a fun little project to serve chickpeas three different ways on the same plate. Today, is part 2, a Chickpea salad.

I really liked both the taste and the texture of the salad--the firmness of the chickpeas with their earthy flavor, the crispness of the green pepper, the bite of the onion and the flavorful spices in the dressing. The salad makes a wonderful side dish or could be used as part of an appetizer platter.

A hefty portion of about 1 cup works out only 217 calories with only 4 grams of fat and 8 big grams of fiber!

This recipe was based on one by Sandra Lee that I found on FoodNetwork.com. She likes to do recipes that you can turn around and use to make something else. Tomorrow, I'll give you my version of turning this salad into Baked Falafel with a Spicy Yogurt Sauce.

Let's eat!

Chickpea Salad
Makes 8 servings
Ingredients
3 15-ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 carrots, grated
1/2 onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1/3 cup lemon juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon broth, chicken or vegetable
1/3 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped

Directions:
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix thoroughly.

Deal of the Day: Get the most juice out of your lemons use a lemon squeezer.

Chickpeas on Foodista

9 comments:

Mother Rimmy said...

Terrific! Have you tried dried chickpeas? I took a cooking class and the chef used dried chickpeas. It wasn't a lot of work, and the flavor was fantastic. I keep saying I'm going to try it, but the cans still call my name.

Barbara @moderncomfortfood said...

I love these beyond-lettuce-and-tomato salads, particularly ones, like this, involving pulses. Great job, and many thanks for sharing.

DailyChef said...

Chickpeas didn't use to be an ingredient I used often, but they're growing on me. Plus, I see them everywhere these days! They're becoming much more popular.

Biren said...

This sounds like a fantastic salad! Chickpeas are so good in a salad.

Drick said...

very nice salad, always like chickpeas this way

redkathy said...

A splash of chicken broth, what a great ideas, sounds perfect! We eat salads every day, and I will be trying this one, thanks for sharing it with us.

Scott K said...

Mom, I've heard about the difference using dried. I'll get there eventually.

Kathy, the chicken broth also means you don't have to use as much oil, reducing the amount of fat in the salad.

Thanks to all.

easy salad recipe.com said...

Love the recipe as always.

Extenze said...

I'll give you my version of turning this salad into Baked Falafel with a Spicy Yogurt Sauce.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails