Thursday, April 15, 2010

Lightened Roasted Red Pepper Hummus


I can still remember the very first time I had hummus. It was not something an Iowa kid saw growing up in the 60s and 70s. I had taken my first full-time newspaper reporting job with a paper near Chicago. And one of my coworkers invited Nancy and I to join her and her husband for dinner. We ate at a neighborhood  Mediterranean restaurant in Oak Park. She suggested the hummus with beef as an appetizer. It came out on a large plate, the hummus topped with small pieces of spicy beef, smoked paprika and olive oil, surrounded by pieces of warm pita bread. With the first bite, I was in love.

So many years later, I still love hummus. And now that I'm trying to live a healthy lifestyle, I appreciate even more all it has to offer. Made up primarily of chickpeas (garbonzo beans) and tahini (a peanut butte-like substance made from sesame seeds), it is full of vitmains, minerals and fiber.

It is also incredibly flexible. You can add flavors into the mix, choose from all kinds of toppings, and dip almost anything into it.

In this version, I substituted some of the oil that would normally be used with from-scratch chicken stock to reduce the fat and added in some roasted red peppers for flavor. It came our really well, and a tablespoon is only 38 calories with 2 grams of fat and 1 of fiber.

Let's eat!

Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
Makes about 3 cups
Ingredients:
1 30-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup tahini
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons low-salt chicken broth
2 tablespoons lemon juice
3 cloves garlic
12 ounces roasted red pepper (either your own or store-bought)
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth.

Lightened Roasted Red Pepper Hummus on Foodista

Deal of the Day: I have come to love my food processor! You can get a perfectly workable one for a very reasonable price. Mother's Day is coming and Amazon has a ton of stuff for that foodie Mom (or Dad come June).  

10 comments:

Christina said...

I adore hummus too! This looks delicious, anything roasted and added to hummus just has to be a bonus!

Katrina said...

Having a neighborhood picnic tomorrow since we're moving and I bought stuff to make hummus. But I hadn't thought of the red peppers and now I'll try that as I know I have a jar in the pantry to use up. Jarred red peppers are okay, right?
Sounds de-lish! I'm gonna stumble this. Thanks, Scott.

Renee Fontes said...

I love hummus especially 'cause I feel full after I eat it! I spread on a wheat tortilla with vegetables for lunch. Your recipe is great, I like the sub of chicken stock for oil. Thanks.

DailyChef said...

Love the ideas for lightening up hummus. Yum!

Deeba PAB said...

Hummus and red bell peppers...yum!! Your version sounds like a winner Scott!

redkathy said...

Hey Scott. I feel the same way about hummus. So glad you posted this. Your hummus sounds delish and I plan to make it this weekend. I have all of the ingredients (except tahini) on hand too. Thanks for sharing.

bunkycooks said...

This is one of the "snacks" I can have when I try to lose weight. I will use your recipe since it is a lighter version. Thanks! It sounds really good.

Noel Chapman said...

Hummus is great! I love that you added the Roasted Red Peppers. Mezzetta has great Roasted Red Peppers in the jar at the local grocery stores that I use all the time. In fact I just made a Creamy Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup. I'll definitely have to try them the next time I make hummus. Sounds good with maybe some pita bread.

Heather Davis said...

I love hummus and regularly make the "original" kind. Will definitely give this one a go. Looks yummy.

Bettie@wineablegifts said...

Love Red Pepper Hummus, I add a chipotle pepper to make it extra tasty! Enjoy!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails