Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Chipotle-Mango BBQ Pork Chops


Nancy and I grow jalapenos in our garden and I smoke many of them to be canned in adobo. I love the smokey heat of chipotle and, when I say Guy Fieri's recipe for Chipotle-Mango BBQ Sauce, knew I'd have to make my own version.

His original recipe called for chicken thighs and drumsticks. I went with pork chops as a lighter alternative to skin-on chicken and because I just love the combination of fruit and pork.

I lightened the sauce itself up by using chicken broth instead of oil.

I loved the flavors of this dish. Mangos are wonderfully sweet, I had a hard time not eating them as I cut them up for the sauce. And anyone who reads this blog regularly knows I love some heat with my sweet. This really delivered on both. One chop, fat removed, and sauce is only 199 calories with 4 grams of fat and 1 of fiber! I served it with sweet potato fries and roasted asparagus topped with pecorino romano.

Let's eat!

Chipotle-Mango BBQ Pork Chop
Makes 4 servings
Ingredients:
1-1/2 cups mango, peeled, pitted and chopped
3/4 cup cilantro
2 chipotle peppers in adobo, plus 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
4 cloves garlic, peeled
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon reduced sodium chicken broth
kosher salt and pepper (I used about a teaspoon of each)
4 4-6 ounce pork chops

Directions:
Place sauce ingredients (everything but the chops) in a food processor and puree.

Add half the sauce and the chops to a resealable plastic bag and coat. Refrigerate and let marinate at least 6 hours.

Heat the remaining sauce in a small sauce pan over low heat, stirring often, until it thickens. Use half the reduced sauce while grilling and serve the remainder with the meal.

Preheat grill pan over medium to medium-high heat, lightly coat with canola oil. Remove chops from marinade (discard the marinade) and grill about 5 minutes a side, basting with the sauce as you go.

Deal of the Day: I love my cast-iron grill for dishes like this.

13 comments:

Mother Rimmy said...

I'm a big fan of chipotle. There is just something about that smoky heat I love. Looks delicious!

denise @ quickies on the dinner table said...

That looks very good and I love the mango chipotle combination.

Drick said...

wow, I think you posted this for me - thanks...

Emily Malloy (Ziegler) said...

This looks so delicious! I love the combo!

Megan said...

I LOVE chipotle mango sauce! Great recipe.

Cocina Savant said...

this looks great! how lucky to make your own adobo! the sweet, smoky, spicy combination is perfect for the (hopefully) coming warmer months. looks delicious!

DailyChef said...

Oh wow - you've amazed me again! These will definitely be on my list of things to make.

redkathy said...

Nice grillin' recipe. Pork chops are a favorite and served regularly in my house! I'll be trying this one for sure, thanks for sharing it!

Magic of Spice said...

Oh! cilantro, mango,chipotle and garlic. What could be better:) Looks great.

Mags said...

Great looking recipe Scott. I'd like it with the pork instead of chicken too, I think.

Noel Chapman said...

Great looking recipe Scott! Mangos and Chipotle work very well together. Anything that adds a little heat with a bit of sweetness is what I like.

Spicie Foodie said...

Wow you make your own Chipotles? How sweet is that. Great combination with the mango , sounds delicious.

Scott K said...

Thanks all.

Spicie, come fall, look for canning recipes.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails