Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Shrimp Tacos with Avocado Salsa Verde


I've written before about our Wednesday night smile meals and our attempt to introduce our son to eating fish. We've had no success and have decided to not push as hard for fear of turning him totally off something we hope he will some day come to enjoy.

That said, Nancy and I plan to continue with our Wednesday night traditions. We recently had lunch at V. Picasso in Urbana and Nancy had the shrimp tacos. I got a taste and we both loved them so I tried to recreate them. I combined what I remembered with a recipe from FoodNetwork.com.

The chipotle coated shrimp paired incredibly well with the tangy salsa to create a wonderful, fresh flavor. I loved that it had none of the Americanized requirements of Mexican food--i.e. it wasn't fried and covered in cheese sauce. Two tacos worked out to only 268 calories with 6 grams of fat and 4 of fiber.

Let's eat!

Shrimp Tacos with Avocado Salsa Verde
Makes 4 servings
Ingredients:
Avocado Salsa Verde
1 small onion, quartered
1 jalapeno, stem and seeds removed
2 cloves garlic
4 medium tomatillos, husked, rinsed and chopped
1/2 Avocado, chopped
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped

Shrimp
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 pound shrimp
1 cup shredded lettuce
8 white corn tortillas
lime wedges

Directions:
Put the onion, jalapeno and garlic in a food processor and chop until very fine. Add tomatillo and avocado and pulse until just blended, but still chunky. Pour into a small bowl and stir in cilantro.

Heat a grill (I prefer cast-iron) over medium-high heat. In a large bowl, mix oil, chipotle powder, salt and shrimp. Stir to coat. Grill the shrimp until translucent, turning once, only a minute or two a side.

Remove shrimp from the grill and add tortillas, grilling several minutes a side  until slightly charred, but still foldable.

Top each tortilla with 1/4 cup shredded lettuce, 2 tablespoons salsa and 2 ounces of shrimp.

I served ours with refried beans topped with a little light cheese.

Deal of the Day: To keep greens fresh longer, rinse them, dry them with a salad spinner, wrap in paper towel and keep in a plastic bag in the crisper. This 5-quart salad spinner is on sale at Amazon.

18 comments:

christine said...

I see that you’re interested and fascinated in food stuffs. This is awesome Chipotle Shrimp Taco with Avocado Salsa Verde. You see, we have this food site Foodista.com (http://www.foodista.com) that is a food and cooking encyclopedia that everyone and anyone can edit. Maybe you are interested in sharing some of recipes to us or share your knowledge about food stuffs and techniques, or maybe you just like to write reviews about food, restaurant and recipes...why don't you visit us sometimes, if its food you're interested in, then we are interested in you. Don't hesitate to check us out.

I hope to see you there.

Cheers!

Grumpy and HoneyB said...

I love shrimp tacos!

Molly said...

Yum--this is going on the menu for next week at our house!

Lori Lynn said...

They do look good, especially with chipotle.

I didn't realize you were from Illinois. I went to UIUC class of '77. Funny they did not call it UIUC then it was just called U of I.
LL

roxan said...

Mmmm... I LOVE shrimp tacos. I think the weather is perfect for them and will have to make some soon. Thank you for the recipe! And hope your son comes around to seafood soon.

Biren said...

I can imagine how delicious this must taste. The shrimp tacos and that avocado salsa verde must go so well together....yumm!

Scott K said...

Thanks all!

Lori, I actually work for the UI! I think UIUC came about because the Chicago and Springfield campuses had a bit of an inferiority complex.

ladyberd said...

Yum! I've been on a fish and shrimp taco kick lately - I made mahi mahi tacos at home but haven't tried shrimp. I love the sound of your salsa with it - the sweetness of the tomatillos sounds like a great flavor addition. thanks for sharing!

Tasty Eats At Home said...

Oh no, now I'm craving shrimp for dinner, and it's totally NOT what we're having. This sounds great.

Drick said...

very nice shrimp taco - and salsa too

DailyChef said...

That avocado salsa verde looks incredible! Any other dishes you usually use it on?

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE said...

This looks so flavorful and healthy! Your son will come around!

Cocina Savant said...

these look great! shrimp tacos and fish tacos are one of those meals that can be lighter and still absolutely delicious. looks great!

Amy said...

These look really good!

Andra said...

We made fresh shrimp tacos just a few weeks in Mexico...some similar elements to yours but we grilled the shrimp and made a more traditional guacamole and a delicious tomatillo salsa. Deliciousness!

Scott K said...

Thanks all!

Chef, his was actually he first time I made the salsa, but can think of several other uses for it.

Andra, I had planned to grill this, but our little grocer didn't have medium to large shrimp so I used the stove-top grill.

Noelle said...

Oh yeah! This looks good. I could make this sauce all the time. Nice dish.

Anonymous said...

This totally takes me back to the Yucatan peninsula, right down the the salsa. Very authentic and I can't wait to try it! Thanks!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails