Sunday, May 16, 2010

Meatless Monday: Spicy Mushroom Ragu


Pasta is a wonderful, quick and easy weeknight meal. Topped with a ragu, it's also a little bit of heaven. Technically, a ragu is a meat sauce. But it doesn't have to be. In fact, pasta and ragu is a perfect meal for Meatless Monday.

In this dish, I used Crimini (Italian brown) mushrooms instead of meat. The earthiness of the mushrooms was highlighted by fresh rosemary and balanced by diced mushrooms and the spice of red pepper flakes. Over some whole wheat linguine, it made a savory, filling meal.

You might have noticed the bruschetta with a red pepper tapenade on the dish. Watch for that later this week.

The linguine and mushroom ragu, topped with some shredded pecorino ramano works out to only 273 calories with 5 grams of fat and 7 of fiber.

Let's eat!

Spicy Mushroom Ragu with Linguine
Makes 4 servings
Ingredients
2 teaspoons olive oil
4 cloves fresh garlic, minced
1 small onion, diced
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
8 ounces Crimini mushrooms, sliced thick
1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, minced
salt to taste
8 ounces whole wheat linguine
4 tablespoons grated pecorino romano

Directions:
Prepare pasta according to package directions.

Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium sauce pan. Add garlic, red pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add onion, mushroom, and rosemary and cook until mushrooms and onions are tender. Add tomatoes and salt and cook until pasta is ready.

Pour about 3/4 cup of ragu over pasta and top with 1 tablespoon of cheese.

Deal of the Day: Nothing goes with pasta like a glass of wine. If you're not into the whole process of decanting, try this Metrokane Rabbit Wine Aerating Pourer. You will notice a difference.

13 comments:

roxan said...

I love meatless monday, thanks for sharing! I bet this is good with some egglant added also :)

DailyChef said...

Ooh - I love spicy ragus, and mushrooms, so will have to try this one! I think I'll substitute penne - don't know why, but it's my favorite.

Biren said...

Love mushrooms with pasta. Looks delicious!

Isabelle said...

Great minds think alike! I just made a really similar mushroom ragu for dinner last night, though I added a can of chickpeas for extra protein and fiber.
It's one of our favourite meatless meals... the mushrooms are so substantial and meaty that you don't even realise it's vegetarian. :)

Lana @ Never Enough Thyme said...

A great meatless option! I find that the brown mushrooms can often be as satisfying as meat especially in something like your ragu sauce. Wonderful options here!

Magic of Spice said...

Sounds divine, love mushrooms.

The Housewife said...

You had me at mushrooms! I love mushrooms... this is a great recipe!

Veronica Gantley said...

I am always looking for meatless. Especially during lent.

Gabby@FoodChowDown said...

you got my mouth watering...I also think this would be great with some eggplant I Can't wait to see the recipe for red pepper tampenade.

Kate @ Diethood.com said...

YUM! I could definitely go for this tonight! I know my husband would be so happy... thank you for sharing!

Ms. WhitePlates said...

Mushroom season has finally dried up around here, this has me hoping the season starts up again soon!

Tiffany said...

Who needs meat with dishes like this? Another fabulous post, you make me want to try everything you write about!

Tiffany said...

Pasta is wonderful! And so are cremini mushrooms ! :D

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails