Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Roasted Red Pepper Tapenade


I love tapenades; salty, earthy, and this one is bright with the sweetness of red peppers. They're also incredibly easy to make and stick in the fridge to be part of a healthy snack or as part of a healthy meal. I this case, I put it on some whole wheat bread, toasted with a little olive oil and a dusting of pecorino romano.

Having snacks you love and that won't destroy your efforts to live healthier makes a huge difference in that effort. I like to keep high-fiber baked crackers, low-fat popcorn, fresh fruit, bars (like Fiber One) and baked chips and salsa around for those munchy moments.

It is a fallacy to think that you can just deny yourself when you want that something salty or something sweet.  Eventually, you'll give in and when you do, you are likely to give in big. So, answer the call of your cravings, but do it in the healthiest way possible. At only 10 calories with no fat and no fiber for a tablespoon, this is a perfect way to do it.

Let's eat!

Roasted Red Pepper Tapenade
Makes about 2-1/2 cups
Ingredients:
4 cloves garlic, peeled
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 16-ounce jar roasted red peppers, drained
1/3 cup fresh flat leaf parsley
1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives, pitted
2 tablespoons capers, drained

Directions:
Add ingredients to a food processor or blender and pulse until it becomes a paste.

Deal of the Day: My food processor is slowly dying. I'm looking at this one as a replacement.

Sweet Red Peppers on FoodistaSweet Red Peppers

12 comments:

DailyChef said...

Love the picture! My problem is that I'm a sweet snacker, not a salty snacker. It can be tough to find healthy sweet snacks. Any ideas?

Evelyne@CheapEthnicEatz said...

Love roasted red pepper anything! but agree with above, I mostly have a sweet tooth.

Scott K said...

I tend to use fruit for sweet snacks, especially pears and mango that are just a bit over ripe. Otherwise, I go for small portions of very good quality sweets. We also buy reduced calorie stuff like the individual serving sizes of reduced fat (slow churn) ice cream. For chocolate, I like those little dove bars that you can break into 4 small pieces. I suck on a small chunk, instead of chewing. You get a lot more flavor and the time it takes lets the craving pass before you go nuts. Hope that helps.

Drick said...

love the salty, crunchy snacks myself, and this is just a great recipe for many things - I like it, no ... I really thing I'm loving it

The Housewife said...

I love the recipe! I've been having so many 'munchy' moments ever since I got pregnant... I feel so guilty all the time!

Magic of Spice said...

I love this! Has all may favorite foods rolled into one. Minus the cheesecake and sushi:)

penny aka jeroxie said...

I like this version. thanks for sharing!

Andra said...

Looks yummy! My suggestion would be to get 3-4 red bell peppers instead of that jar and roast them. It is easy, will allow you to allow only the salt you want, and will cut out the preservatives and unpronounceable ingredients. Here's how I roast peppers- super duper easy technique from the French Laundry cookbook:
http://frenchpressmemos.blogspot.com/2010/02/doubt_07.html

Scott K said...

Thanks all!

Magic, I can see some tapenade in a sushi roll. Tapenade topped cheesecake?

Andra, I thought about doing my own, probably should have. Thanks very much for sharing!

redkathy said...

What a great snack! Dad is moving in this weekend, time for him to test all these wonderful, healthy recipes with us!

Noelle said...

This sounds lovely!

Anonymous said...

My favourite dessert at the moment is fat free plain fromage frais with a crumbled meringue nest folded in, along with whatever soft fruit you prefer.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails