Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Smashed Green Onion Potatoes


I made this dish to go with Chicken-Spinach Roulade with Blackberry-Ancho Sauce. I didn't publish it at the same time because both dishes were so good that I didn't want them to detract from each other. I'll put it this way, all three of us went back for seconds on these and Quinn wanted thirds 30 minutes after dinner was over!

Like the chicken, this recipe is based on one by Chef Bobby Flay that I lightened up. mostly by using less oil and by eliminating a whole stick of butter. The potatoes were both crunchy and smooth with both the sweetness of the roasted onion and the kick of the fresh ground pepper.

This recipe takes a little prep work, but it is well worth it, especially at only 106 calories with 2 grams of fat and 3 of fiber per serving.

Let's eat!

Smashed Green Onion Potatoes
Makes 8 servings
Ingredients:
2 pounds baby red potatoes, quartered
2 bunches (about 12 stalks) scallions
3 teaspoons olive oil (divided)
 Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Preheat oven to 450F.

On a foil-lined baking sheet, spread scallions and brush with 1 teaspoon oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and roast for about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and coarsely chop.

Add potatoes, remaining oil, salt and lots of pepper to a bowl and coat potatoes. Spread on a baking sheet and roast until browned.

As soon as the potatoes come out of the oven, combine with scallions in a bowl and smash with a potato masher. Add more salt and pepper if needed.

Deal of the Day: We still have Nancy's grandmother's old potato masher from the farm. There's nothing like the old stand-bys.

17 comments:

Christina said...

I am not a potato fan but I can't even begin to tell you how delicious these look! Terrific! I'm going to be trying!

sandy axelrod said...

I made Bobby Flay's Roasted Scallion and Roasted Garlic Smashed Potatoes Saturday for a dinner party to accompany his recipe for New York Steak Marinated in Peppers. Both dishes were spectacular. I noticed that you left out the roasted garlic in your version of the potatoes. I think they added an additional layer of flavor!

Scott K said...

Sandy, great question. I had two other dishes on the table that night with garlic, and thought a third would be too much. Also, since I wasn't add ing all that butter, I was afraid the garlic would clup and you might get a big bite of it.

Robin said...

Sounds amazing.

Drick said...

this in one dish I just love - have made variations many times, sometimes with roasted red peppers too (and butter)

Scott K said...

Love the idea of roasting red peppers and adding them to them to this.

Organic Warrior said...

This sound fantastic-can't wait to try it!

DailyChef said...

Love this idea! I've never made potatoes this way.

The Housewife said...

I love potatoes, especially when I can get em all crispy. Thanks for sharing!

Kristi@Ja Cie Kocham said...

Thank you for removing a ton of butter. My heart thanks you :o)

Looks delish!

Emily said...

I would definitely go back for seconds,thirds if I were your dinner guest, haha ;)I love the simplicity of the dish and pretty sure it is tasty by the looks of it :D

Glen said...

These look fantastic. Two questions. Did you use the whites on the scallions as well? Did you turn the potatoes at all while roasting them?

Scott K said...

Glen, Yes, used the whole scallion and yes, turned once.

easy-salad-recipe.com said...

So simple yet so good. Sometime all I need is an inspiration like this to me cooking.

Glen said...

Made these tonight Scott, they were fantastic. I added powdered garlic to the potatoes, and cooking just for me halved the recipe. Once I flipped the potatoes, I added the scallions to the other side of the baking sheet. I used my misto instead of brushing with the oil as well. Fantastic find, I look forward to following your blog and picking up some healthy GOOD recipes.

Scott K said...

Glen, great idea with the garlic! I'm really glad you liked it.

mimosa said...

So simple and rustic...just my style! I'm going to have to try that.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails