Monday, May 31, 2010

Sweet and Spicy K.C.-Style BBQ Sauce


Grilling season is full on! I wonder though, about all those people out there who will spend hundreds of dollars on just the right grill, search for that perfect piece of meat, experiment with temperatures, smoke with a variety of woods, etc. And then, finish all that work off with a store-bought sauce.

There is such a wonderful variety of sauces from across this country. Hot and spicy Texas sauce, Carolina vinegar sauce, Georgia mustard sauce, alcohol-based (moonshine or bourbon) Kentucky sauce, even a Creole sauce.

If you ask me, the BBQ sauce capital of the world is Kansas City. Known for its sweet and spicy tomato-based sauces, K.C. gives you the best of both worlds. This classic Kansas City sauce will not let you down. It comes at you with the sweetness of dark brown sugar and molasses followed by the spice of chili powder and, just when you think it's done, a hint of smoke.

This recipe makes about 4 cups. A 1/4-cup serving works out to only 41 calories with 1 gram of fat and 1 of fiber.

Let's eat!

K.C.-Style BBQ Sauce
Makes 4 cups
Ingredients:
2 teaspoons canola oil
1 medium sweet onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 14.5-ounce can tomato puree
3/4 cup cider vinegar
1 cup water
6 tablespoons dark brown sugar
6 tablespoons chili powder
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
3 teaspoons celery salt
1 tablespoon yellow mustard
1 tablespoon fresh ground pepper
1 tablespoon molasses
1 tablespoon liquid hickory smoke (If you're looking for more heat, try adding one chipotle pepper in adobo, minced instead)

Directions:
In a medium saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute until tender.

Add remaining ingredients, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for at least 30 minutes, preferably an hour, letting the sause cook down by about 1/4.

Remove from heat and let cool. Pour sauce into a blender and liquefy.

Use this sauce on the meat as you cook and serve on the side.

Deal of the Day: This Circulon Accessories 3-Piece Open Skillet Set is on sale at half off on Amazon!

7 comments:

Biren said...

I like it that your homemade KC sauce is not that sweet. I find the bottled BBQ sauce too sweet and now I just marinade my meats with salt, pepper, and some drie dherbs and spices. I'll have to try this. With 4 cups of sauce, I should be able to store it in the fridge and use a little of it each time. Thanks for the recipe.

Katrina said...

I have been looking today for a cleaner sauce than the bottle stuff with HFCS (I'm a diabetic). So, this look fantastic to try even after I cut some brown sugar. Thanks for this!

DailyChef said...

What a delicious sauce! I can't eat any more BBQ sauce right now, but give me a few days...

Magic of Spice said...

Great sauce, oh and yes chipotle would be a perfect add:)

Drick said...

I think KC sauce is the perfect sauce for pork ribs and I like it with brisket as well - your recipe is very similar to the one I make... I think we might could eat at the same table....

Scott K said...

Thanks all.

Drick, I agree completely!

Elin said...

Scott..that is a great sauce to go with your pork ribs :) I am hungry already just drooling at your photo :p

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails