Monday, June 21, 2010

Bon Appetit Pickled Carrots, Moroccan-Style

First off, apologies to everyone, I meant to post this early this morning, but had an epic bogger fail and had to get to work before I could finish it.

I was very excited when I saw this recipe in the May issue of Bon Appetit. I love those spicy veggie mixes you can get at most groceries, but find them too expensive for what you get.

I followed the Bon Appetit recipe, for the most part anyway. I added some extra garlic and, since I didn't have the suggested de arbol peppers on hand, used some red chilis from last years garden instead. I added a few red pepper flakes to make up the difference, but more on that later. I also didn't have a quart jar so set out to use pint jars instead. I ended up only needing three, but the brine fell just short of enough, so I had to add a little extra cider vinegar.

The carrots have a wonderful little kick of lemon and garlic with just a hint of heat. In fact, the heat is more of an afterthought, hanging on your tongue after the other flavors dissipate. Next time, I'll either use hotter peppers or infuse the brine with more pepper flakes, boiling them with the other ingredients instead of putting just a pinch in each jar.

All-in-all, though, I was really happy with the flavor. Not only would these make a nice addition to a veggie plate at a party, but they make a wonderful option to plain raw veggies as a healthy snack.These work out to only 36 calories with only a trace of fat and 2 grams of fiber a serving.

The recipe below is my adaptation. Feel free to have a shot at the original at bonappetit.com.

Let's eat!

Pickled Carrots, Moroccan Style
Makes 10 servings
Ingredients:
1-1/4 pounds baby carrots
6 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
4 dried red chilis, halved
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Peel of 1 lemon, cut into strips
1-1/2 cups water
1-1/2 cups cider vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
1-1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons coriander seeds, cracked
2 teaspoons cumin seeds, cracked.

Directions:
Evenly divided carrots, lemon peel, garlic, chilis and pepper flakes between 3 pint-size canning jars.

Combine water, cider, sugar, slat, coriander, cumin, sugar and salt in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Cook for 3 minutes. Pour over carrot mixture and let cool. Seal jars and refrigerate for at least 12 hours.

Deal of the Day: With the garden in and blooms everywhere, we're getting ready for canning season again. Canning is a great way to preserve fresh veggies for the winter and can save you money in long run. Amazon has this great basic canning set to get you started.

7 comments:

DailyChef said...

Interesting - I usually don't love pickled things or carrots, so this might not be my favorite :-P I have to say that I'm intrigued though!

bunkycooks said...

I love all the fussy pickles and marinated foods. I agree, some can be quite expensive. I will have to try my hand at making some, too. Thanks for the recipe.

Emily Malloy (Ziegler) said...

Oh how creative, I love this!!!

Isabelle said...

Pickled carrots are awesome. We always have at least one jar of them kicking around in the fridge. (This is our recipe: http://messycook.blogspot.com/2008/05/sunshine-in-jar.html)
BTW, I'm not sure how long your pickles have been in the brine, but don't be too disappointed with the heat levels. In my experience, they'll get spicier and spicier as time goes on. It took us about six months to finish off our last jar of carrots, and let me tell you, those last few carrots out of the jar were zippy!

Cooking with Kait said...

These pickled baby carrots sound great. Great use of Morrocan flavors.

Lori Lynn said...

Pickle + Summer = Perfect Match
They sound great!
LL

Magic of Spice said...

Sounds good to me!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails