Thursday, June 3, 2010

Glazed Root Vegetables with Rosemary Pork Chops


We are working our way through the treasure of fresh produce we picked up at the Urbana Market on the Square over the weekend. The last of it was a bunch of small turnips.

I've actually never had or prepared turnips before, but generally love root vegetables. In the end, I decided to combine them with carrots, parsnips and sweet potatoes with a light glaze as a side to pork chops seasoned with rosemary, sea salt and pepper.

I was very happy with how they turned out. There was a subtle sweetness that was somewhere between a parsnip and a sweet potato but a texture closer to a potato. When combined with the other vegetables and lightly glazed with sugar and balsamic vinegar, I got a wonderful range of flavor from earthy to sweet. All for only 120 calories with no fat and 6 grams of fiber per serving.

Let's eat!

Glazed Root Vegetables
Makes 6 servings
Ingredients:
5 small turnips, peeled and chopped
5 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
2 medium parsnips, peeled and chopped
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
water
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Be sure your vegetables are chopped to equal, bite-sized pieces.

In a large skillet, spread an even, single layer of vegetables and fill with enough water so that vegetables are not quite submerged.

Add sugar and balsamic vinegar, partially cover and heat over medium-high heat to bring to a boil. Continue to cook, stirring regularly, until liquid is evaporated and vegetables are tender. Salt and pepper to taste.


Deal of the Day: I love Circulon cookware. Amazon has this Circulon Accessories 3-Piece Open Skillet Set on sale for more than 50 percent off!

11 comments:

Bo said...

Great meal...I love rosemary with pork...or with any meat...I like you threw in some parsnips too...they are one of my favorite vegetables.

Dawn said...

I have done a glazed root veggie like this before and it's SO good. Great recipe!

Emily Malloy (Ziegler) said...

This is definitely something I could eat for dinner EVERY NIGHT! Yumm. Love the combination of flavors. Reminds me of colonial cooking, which I grew up on, actually!!

Ms Bibi said...

I love roasted pork.This looks absolutely delicious.It's the complete package. Not a thing I don't like on that plate.

Biren said...

Another delicious meal. Love the simple glaze on the root vegetables.

Scott, just wanted to let you know that I did link to your blog for my latest post Caldo Verde.

jen cheung said...

hellllllllllo there! found you on foodbuzz! :) your page is lovely! feel free to drop by my page when you have the time! thanks a bunch.

jen @ www.passion4food.ca

lemonsandanchovies said...

This looks great--I usually roast my root veggies I like the idea of a balsamic glaze. I just started eating parsnips and turnips a few years ago and I've been hooked on them.

Magic of Spice said...

Love the glazed root vegetables! The whole dish looks great...

bunkycooks said...

You know I love rosemary with pork! What a great combination. I am sure the balsamic glaze puts it over the top!

Mags said...

Love the balsamic glaze and I too love rosemary with pork. Great post.

Scott K said...

Thanks all!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails