Thursday, June 3, 2010

Italian Kale and Potato Soup


Our local Urbana Market on the Square had some beautiful kale this last weekend and I snapped some of it up with no idea what I would do with it.

As Nancy, Quinn and I left the market, we talked about our finds and what we would do with them. In addition to the kale, we had gotten turnips, strawberries and two sheep cheeses (Ewe Bloom and Pecorino) from our favorite Prairie Fruit Farms.Very quickly, we settled on a traditional Italian soup for the Kale.

This is now one of Nancy's favorites, it is so full of flavor. I love how the earthiness of the potato, slight bitterness of the kale and sweet spiciness of the turkey Italian sausage blend together in a lightly creamy sauce infused with basil, oregano and fennel. A nearly 2-cup serving works out to only 272 calories with 10 grams of fat and 4 of fiber.

Let's eat!

Italian Kale and Potato Soup
Makes 6-8 servings
Ingredients
2 teaspoons olive oil
1-1/4 pound ground turkey Italian sausage
1-1/4 pound potatoes
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 bunch kale washed, stems removed and chopped into pieces
6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 teaspoons dried basil
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons crushed fennel seed
1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
fresh ground pepper to taste
1/4 to 1/2 cup shredded pecorino

Directions:
In a large sauce pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add sausage, crumble and brown.

Add onion and garlic and saute until onions are just tender, about three minutes.

Meanwhile, create a bouquet garni in cheese cloth with the basil, oregano and fennel. Add it and all remaining ingredients except the kale and buttermilk, bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer until potatoes are cooked, 10-15 minutes.

Add kale and simmer until it is just tender, less than 5 minutes. Remove garni. Remove from heat and stir in buttermilk. Add pepper to taste, you shouldn't need salt. Top with about a tablespoon of cheese.

Serve with a warm, crusty bread.


Kale

18 comments:

motherrimmy said...

This is a must try. I love kale. It's such a nutritious leafy green. I think it works much better than spinach in soups. It doesn't wilt down so much.

Biren said...

I often see kale at the grocery stores but don't really know what to do with them. I'll have to try this. It sounds really healthy and delicious.

Isabelle said...

Kale soup is one of my favourites, though I usually do it Portuguese style with white beans. I think I'll give your version a spin next time I've got a hankering, though... it looks delicious! :)

penny aka jeroxie said...

Yes! I love this soup too. Very yummy and healthy.

Natalie (The City Sisters) said...

Wow, this sounds delicious! I love reasons to go the farmer's market! Thanks for the recipe...the dish will be on our table this weekend for sure!

Drick said...

very nice sounding soup, I have never seen this kale before, sounds like you knew exactly what to do with it, looks like a wonderful recipe

lemonsandanchovies said...

This looks like a soup I could really enjoy. Thanks for sharing the recipe. :-)

Katie@Cozydelicious said...

This soup looks so yummy! I'm a huge fan of kale, and it sounds so good in this soup. I'd love to make a huge batch and eat it all week.

Mags said...

This looks so delicious. I haven't been able to find kale in my local grocery store but hoping once the farmer's market opens in a few weeks I'll have better luck.

Magic of Spice said...

Wow, what a grand load of ingredients:)Wonderful!

DailyChef said...

Delicious! I love kale in soup too - check out a similar recipe I made last week :)

http://www.dailychef.com/blog/?p=1439

jen cheung said...

hellllllllllo there! found you on foodbuzz! :) your page is lovely! feel free to drop by my page when you have the time! thanks a bunch.

jen @ www.passion4food.ca

C and C Dish said...

This soup is good, I make something similar http://candcdish.wordpress.com/2010/04/11/turkey-sausage-and-kale-soup/

redkathy said...

Oh my gosh, I just came from Roti n Rice, saw your comment and had to check out your soup. My mom used to prepare a similar version. Haven't had a bowl in 15 years. So it's about 90 here and I'm wishing for soup, totally crazy ;)

The Housewife said...

This has three things I love - kale, potatoes and it's a soup! :)

Scott K said...

Wow!Thank you all for your wonderful comments and for sharing your recipes.

The Food Addicts said...

Kale is one of my favorite vegetables so hearty and health.

Kristy said...

Now that's what I'm talking about!!! lol Looks amazing and I will def give it a try, haven't had that much experience with kale but I'm giving it a try!! :) Thanks!!!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails