Thursday, June 10, 2010

Shrimp Spring Rolls


I have to send out a huge thank you to Hilah of Hilah Cooking for the inspiration of this dish. If you haven't seen Hilah's video blog, she is smart, funny, irreverent and offers wonderful, easy to follow cooking videos. It was her video on making spring rolls that led me to make my own.

My son Quinn is an artist. He regularly compares my efforts with food to his with pen and paint. While I have appreciated it, and striven to make my food beautiful as well as healthy and tasty, I have always seen myself more in the vein of an artisan than artist. My food has never been the kind to show up on those beautiful food photo sites.

That is, until this dish. As I put these spring rolls together, I was touched by their minimalism. As the first few rolls came together, I could see past the cilantro leaves, each as unique as a snowflake, to the bright colored batons of carrot, cucumber and sweet pepper. The rice noodles and salad shrimp showed up chaotically to frame it all. It was one of the most Zen-like moments I've ever had. And, while they are still not in the same league, visually, with the work of some of my fellow bloggers, they are the most beautiful things I've ever made. And it wasn't that hard to do!

Did I mention they were delicious. You got the flavor of each ingredient, individually and combined. I served them with a variety of sweet, spicy and earthy sauces, a sesame slaw, and a light miso soup. The rolls were only 97 calories with 0 grams of fat and 1 of fiber each.

Let's eat!

Shrimp Spring Rolls
Makes 20 Rolls
Ingredients:
7 ounces (uncooked) rice noodles (shredded cabbage is another good option)
3 medium-small carrots, cut into batons
1/2 medium cumber, peeled, seeds removed and cut into batons
1 medium sweet pepper, stem and seeds removed, cut into batons
10 ounces salad shrimp
1/2 teaspoon sugar
40 cilantro leaves
20 spring roll skins

Directions:
Prepare noodles according to package directions, rinse with cold water and drain.

Sprinkle carrots with sugar and let sit. The sugar will soften and brighten the batons.

To assemble the rolls, fill a pie pan about halfway with warm water. One at a time, soak a skin in the water until it is pliable. Lay it out on a plate and, in the 1/3 closer to you, add filling, except cilantro. Roll up 2/3 of the way and fold in ends. Place cilantro leaves flat on remaining skin and finish rolling. Be sure the rolls don't touch as you assemble them, they'll stick together.
 

Deal of the Day: Don't forget, Father's Day is coming up.



Fresh Spring Rolls on FoodistaFresh Spring Rolls

20 comments:

Biren said...

These look beautiful! Definitely Zen-like!

Mother Rimmy said...

Spring rolls are a weekend treat at my house. We love them. Great job! These look terrific!

Lori Lynn said...

They look great! Bravo!
LL

Lana @ Never Enough Thyme said...

These spring rolls are most definitely a work of art. Just beautiful and I'm sure as tasty as they are lovely. Great job!

Daniel @ the food addicts said...

Great job at rolling you make it look easy. With the stickiness of the rice paper it can make it difficult at times. You have to try these with the peanut butter/ hoisin dipping sauce. You can see our friends made it here. http://ravenouscouple.blogspot.com/2009/05/nem-nuong-cuon-spring-rolls-with.html

Megan said...

I love spring rolls and these are beautiful! Wish I had one right now!

thehungryartist said...

These look wonderful. I've been meaning to make these forever. I have the rice noodles-- just need the wrappers. Thanks for posting! It's great for the hot weather of summer too!

Emily Malloy (Ziegler) said...

Simply stunning.

Cooking with Kait said...

Spring rolls are such a wonderful treat and they always look beautiful.

roxan said...

You're right those are beautiful! I love spring rolls, they're always so fresh and delicious...

Robin said...

Beautiful pic.
Thanks for sharing with your coworkers. They were great.

Spicie Foodie said...

Truly beautiful! The photo is fantastic, as is your styling. I love the cilantro poking through and the colors flow very well, great job! Spring rolls are my favorite I could eat them every day. Your recipe is great, a bit different than mine so I will have to try it soon.

Magic of Spice said...

These are fantastic!

Chow and Chatter said...

they look awesome love the cilantro peaking through

The Housewife said...

So pretty with the cilantro on it... these would wow at any dinner party!

Amanda said...

These are so beautiful Scott!

Elin said...

Scott...you make this sound so easy. Your spring rolls looked great with the cilantro leaves on the surface. Thanks for sharing the recipe :)

Scott K said...

Thank you all, I really do appreciate all your incredibly kind comments.

Cinda said...

Inspiring! I love how you put the cilantro leaves on the spring rolls. They looks so cute.

Sippity Sup said...

Proof that food is indeed art! GREG

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails