Monday, June 28, 2010

Succulent Grilled Peaches with Honey Chevre


Nancy is a fiend for fresh peaches. So, when our weekly email from the Urbana Market on the Square said that the first of the fresh peaches would be in last Saturday, she could hardly wait. I thought we were going to be camping out in the parking lot like teenagers trying to get Lady Gaga tickets.

I have to admit to being pretty excited myself. There are few things as gratifying as trying to hold back the juice of a fresh-picked peach from running down your chin as you slurp up its sweet meat. Still, I wanted to so something fun. In addition to the peaches, we had picked up some apricots, sweet corn, leeks, and three kinds of goat cheese from our good friends at Prairie Fruit Farms and Creamery.

As we left the market, an idea started to gel, grilled peaches with some of the goat chevre we had picked up. It solidified as we arrived home and I walked past our overflowing potted mint.

I had no idea how wonderful these would come out. The sweetness of the warmed peach went so well with the creaminess of the goat cheese with a hint of honey. Nancy said it was like getting cheesecake in a peach crust. And each peach half with filling is only 106 calories with 6 grams of fat and 1 of fiber.

Let's eat!

Succulent Grilled Peaches with Honey Chevre
Makes 8 servings
Ingredients:
4 fresh peaches, halved and pits removed
6 ounces chevre goat cheese
1 tablespoon honey
2 tablespoons skim milk
8 mint leaves

Directions:
Heat grill to medium. Combine cheese, honey and milk in a small bowl. Grill peaches cut side down until sugars begin to caramelize and leave grill marks. Fill each with about 1 tablespoon of cheese mixture. Top with mint leaves and serve warm.

Deal of the Day: This Cuisinart SmartStick Immersion Hand Blender is on sale for only $28. Should I remind Nancy my birthday is coming up?


Peach

19 comments:

Lauren said...

Hi! Obviously, after the party you, me, and the baking barrister had on twitter last night, I had to stop by and check out your peach creations. I have a pretty little peach from the Santa Monica Farmers' Market sitting in my fruit bowl, and the scent is screaming my name. (unfortunately, I am addicted to fruit and have already surpassed my allowance for today. I eat apples in my sleep)

Anyway, I love what you did here, and it's so nice that you made something seasonal and indulgent and healthy, too. Yay!

-- Lauren, Lauren's Little Kitchen

Alison Zulyniak said...

Yum, Yum, Yum!!! I'm so going to have to make these. What an amazing idea to combine the chevre and peaches.

Amy said...

I love this combo!

Lynn said...

sounds amazing! Goat cheese and honey are one of my favourite combinations!

Drick said...

Lady Gaga??? - peaches grilled with the honey mint infused goat cheese = pure good eating if you ask me - brilliant

Noelle said...

SOunds yummers!

BarbaraK said...

This sounds so good...I don't know if we have fresh peaches here yet! Thanks for the recipe!

Mother Rimmy said...

I've been dying to try grilling stone fruits. Looks great. Can't wait to give it a try!

Kate said...

Looks fabulous! We've done grilled peaches with blue cheese and honey and loved those.

The Mom Chef said...

Oh my goodness. What an incredible picture you were able to paint for us. You didn't even need to post the photo for me to feel the juice running down my chin. Thank you so much.

Elizabeth said...

This looks divine. What an excellent way to celebrate great summer fruit.

The Housewife said...

This is amazing! Just a 106 calories? I have to try this out.. I can only imagine how great the chevre was against the grilled peaches!

Jason Phelps said...

Definitely going on the all fruit and veggie grilling menu for the holiday weekend.

Jason

baking.serendipity said...

Grilled fruit is delicious! Never would have thought to add the cheese and honey here, but it looks and sounds so good!

Magic of Spice said...

Those look so delicious! Love the chevre with these...nice:)

The Recipe Diva said...

This looks great! Definitely my kind of food! I wish I was on your side of the equator right now so I could enjoy this too!

Susan Joliene said...

Hi....this combination of flavors sounds amazing. My fiance is concerned about his carbohydrate intake. Any idea how many carbs are in each peach half?

Thanks!

Scott K said...

Susan, according to Nutrition Data, each half with cheese is about 10g of carbs.

Spicie Foodie said...

Oh my oh my! I am drooling at your photos and amazing recipe. Goat cheese is so fantastically delicious with fruits. Thanks for sharing.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails