Monday, July 5, 2010

Prepping for our trip and Mini Quiche for Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner

We spent most of the July 4th weekend prepping four our summer adventure, packing up camping gear, an oil change for my bike, cutting our acre of yard with the hope that we don't return to a jungle. I was supposed to do tire changes as well, but the tires haven't shown up yet. UPS promises they will be here Tuesday (they were supposed to be here Friday). I hope so!

We also cleaned out the fridge, identifying the food that would be unrecognizable on our return and trying to find ways to use it up. The Egg Beaters in the fridge and a lonely red pepper sitting on the counter reminded me of a recipe Mother Rimmy had recently posted for Roasted Red Pepper and Basil Quiche Bites. I love her site and highly recommend it to anyone looking for healthy, delicious food. 

I have adapted her recipe a little to our tastes and for what we had on hand. I also used large muffin tins to make these more a breakfast item than an appetizer.

I love that this recipe gives you all that wonderful quiche flavor, highlighted by the roasted pepper and onion I used, without all the fat and calories that you usually find in quiche, particularly in the crust. My version makes 10 quiches at 66 calories, 2 grams of fat and 0 grams fiber each.

We had some leftover and used them the next day in breakfast sandwiches with a turkey sausage patty on a whole-wheat English muffin.

Let's eat!

Mini Quiche
Makes 5 servings
Ingredients:
1-1/2 cups egg substitute (equivalent of 6 eggs)
1 red pepper, roasted, peeled and finely diced
1/2 onion, roasted and finely diced
2 tablespoons fresh basil, cut chiffonade
1/4 cup nonfat ricotta
1/4 Pecorino Romano
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

Directions:
Halve the pepper and lay it cut-side down on a baking sheet. Separate onion and spread on the same backing. Place under broiler and and cook until skin of the pepper blackens and separates from the meat of the pepper and edges of the onion have browned. Remove, let cool, peel the pepper and dice pepper and onion.

Preheat oven to 350F.

Combine pepper and onion with remaining ingredients and blend together, making sure the ricotta is well incorporated.  Pour 1/4 cup of the mixture into each muffin tin and bake 15-20 minutes.

Serve with fruit.

Deal of the Day: Our garden is coming in and I'm already thinking about putting things up for winter. We're going to try drying peppers and herbs this year, but we need a food dehydrator first. I'm looking at this one.

10 comments:

Sevgi said...

I LOVE this mini quiche idea. It's perfect for a brunch or other types of get togethers. Thank you for sharing!

sweetlife said...

mini quiches are perfect and you can add anything on hand, thanks for sharing

sweetlife

The Mom Chef said...

Beautiful presentation to go with a wonderful recipe. Many thanks!

Isabelle said...

Awesome idea. I bet these would be perfect as a grab-and-go breakfast on workdays!

Cook with Madin said...

Your quiche really looks great and delicious.I don't mind eating left over the next day. I guess you guys are ready to go on your trip. Fridge were cleaned and everything else. Have fun and be safe.

Yes, I follow Mother Rimmy's site also, love all the healthy dishes she shares.

Rachel @ Working Out Wellness said...

I really like this idea as a way to get rid of some of the leftovers in the fridge. I've never made or even EATEN quiche before though, so I'm slightly hesitant, haha. It does look really tasty though.

Biren said...

These mini quiches sound yummy! Love Mother Rimmy's blog too. Hope you have a great trip.

The Housewife said...

I love quiches and mini versions of anything (well.. almost!) are welcome! Hope yo enjoy your break.. have fun! :)

Magic of Spice said...

I love mini quiche and these sound perfect:)

Mother Rimmy said...

Hi Scott. Love the breakfast sandwich idea. I'll be trying that soon. Great for a workday breakfast. Thanks! I hope you enjoyed your trip.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails