Thursday, July 29, 2010

Smokey Southwest Spice Blend and Steak Fajitas


I've recently started putting together my own spice mixes to have on hand. Most store-bought spice mixes are heavy on salt. When I make my own, I can not only control how much salt I add, but adjust them to my own taste.

My first seasoning mix was my All-Around Spice Rub. I originally put this together as a rub for grilled and smoked meats. Since then, other folks have told me how they've used it to season burgers, veggies and fries.

This version has a southwestern flavor and is perfect for seasoning ground meat for tacos or for steak or chicken for fajitas, which is what I did here. It has a wonderful smokey flavor from a combination of smoked paprika and ground chipotle peppers. I love the way the smoke lightly carries the heat without overpowering the flavors of the other ingredients in the dish.

For things like tacos and and fajitas, I add 1-2 tablespoons of the mix and 1/2 cup of water to the meat and let it reduce and coat to give an even flavor.

Fajitas make a wonderful meal for those nights when you don't have a lot of time. They are quick and packed with both great flavors and nutrition. This version, with a whole wheat, high fiber tortilla, a tablespoon of light sour cream and reduced fat Mexican blend cheese works out to only 398 calories with 23 grams of fat and 13 of fiber.

Let's eat!

Smokey Southwest Spice Blend:
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons smoked paprika
4 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper

Combine ingredients and store in a dark dry place.

Smokey Fajitas
Ingredients:
3/4 pound sirloin (or other lean beef) trimmed of fat
1 large onion, halved and sliced
2 sweet peppers (you choose the colors) sliced
4 teaspoons canola oil (divided)
3 tablespoons Smokey Southwest Spice Blend (divided)
4 tablespoons light sour cream for garnish
1 cup Mexican cheese blend for garnish

Directions:
In a large skillet, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat. Add veggies and saute until just tender. Add one tablespoon Smokey Southwest spice blend and coat veggies. Remove the veggies and set aside.

In the same skillet, add remaining oil and heat over medium-high heat. Add sirloin and saute until browned. Add 2 tablespoons of spice blend and 1/2 cup of water. Continue to cook until moisture has evaporated and the steak is coated in seasoning.

Return the veggies to the skillet and mix. Serve 1/4 of the mixture on a tortilla with cheese and sour cream.

Deal of the Day: This Cuisinart Pure Indulgence 2-Quart Automatic Frozen Yogurt, Sorbet, and Ice Cream Maker is on sale for more than half off!



Chipotle Peppers

10 comments:

Biren said...

Your steak fajitas look awesome! I really like your spice blend. Good to have you back. Hope your son is doing well.

Lynn said...

That sounds like a pretty tasty spice blend, I'm going to give it a try. Thanks for sharing!

Jessie -- The Messie Kitchen said...

Oh yum. This looks really great. I love all the color. And a homemade spice rub is a really great idea!

Sippity Sup said...

Fabulous both the rub and having you back! Please drop us a word now and then about your son. GREG

Mags said...

You've talked me into making my own spice blend. I don't know why I haven't tried it before!

The Mom Chef said...

I love making my own spice blends. Yours looks terrific. I totally agree about the amount of salt in the others too. Thanks for the recipes.

Mother Rimmy said...

I agree about the store bought spice mixes being loaded with salt. I like the blend you've made here.

Scott K said...

Thanks all. And thank you for your support of Quinn.

Spicie Foodie said...

I love your spice blend, it's a blend I would use often. I agree with you it's just better to make your own. Way too much salt and MSG in store bought brands. Great fajitas recipe too, it just looks delish!

Extenze said...

I want to bookmark the page so I can return here from you that you have done a fantastic job.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails