Thursday, July 1, 2010

Super Easy Pulled Chicken Sandwiches


This is one of the easiest dishes I've ever posted, but easy doesn't mean without flavor. This chicken spent the day in the slow-cooker, swimming in my Kansas City Style BBQ Sauce. Dinner was only a matter of roasting some slice potatoes, toasting buns, pulling the chicken and putting these sweet and savory sandwiches together.

I used chicken breasts because they are so low in fat, but this would be just as flavorful with less expensive cuts like thighs or legs. The trick to using breasts is not to overcook them because even in a braise, they will dry out. Cook no more than 8 hours, but probably closer to 6, depending on your slow-cooker.

I mixed my BBQ styles a little by using a Kansas City sauce, but going a little Carolina by topping the sandwiches with a version of my Sweet Vinegar Slaw. Nancy and Quinn preferred there slaw on the side. But I love the combination of sweet and lightly spicy that you get by combining the two. Each sandwich included 4 ounces of chicken, 1-1/2 tablespoons of sauce, 2 ounces of slaw and a whole-wheat bun. Minus the bun it was 220 calories with 4 grams of fat and 1 of fiber. Just the chicken and sauce were 175 calories with 1 gram of fat and 1 of fiber.

Let's eat!

Super Easy Pulled Chicken Sandwiches
Makes 8 servings
Ingredients:
2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast
2 cups KC-Style BBQ sauce, divided
water
8 whole wheat buns

Directions:
Place the chicken in the slow cooker and cover with 1 cup of BBQ sauce. Fill with water to just cover chicken. Cook on low 6 to 8 hours.

Remove chicken and pull to shred. Toast buns and top with 4 ounces chicken, 1-1/2 tablespoons sauce, and 2 ounces of slaw.

Deal of the day: This Cuisinart 3-1/2-Quart Programmable Slow Cooker is the perfect size for the dish and is half off at Amazon.

14 comments:

Mags said...

Great pulled chicken recipe. And I'd have my slaw on top of the sandwich too!

everythingisjustwonderful said...

Thanks so much for stopping by! Very exciting to hear from you. Your recipes are healthful and usually fairly simple for me to follow! Thank you for helping me get my husband to eat healthy food without hating it! ;)

Caitlin

Tasty Eats At Home said...

Sounds great! I love pulled anything. :) Glad to see a leaner choice!

Elin said...

Scott....this is a wonderful and delicious sandwich...I can imagine how tasty those pulled meat are :) Thanks for sharing :)

baking.serendipity said...

Easy and delicious. I love it! Using chicken instead of pork or beef is such a great, healthy change that I think would go over very well. Thanks for sharing!

The Mom Chef said...

I was going to ask if the slow cooker dried out the breasts but you were kind enough to read my mind and answer the question for me. I love the idea of this and will definitely give it a try. Many thanks!

Gwen said...

Yummie! I am excited to "follow" your blog! Your recipes are right up my alley! I too love pickled slaw ontop of my sammies. BTW, this last time I made pulled chicken sammies, I used Agave nectar instead of sugar, it was really good and minus the calories!

Steve said...

This looks tasty. Everything tastes better with BBQ sauce.

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE said...

Mmmm! I love bbq! This is a perfect summer meal!

Drick said...

love BBQ chicken, a slaw dog, so this is right up my alley...

Cook with Madin said...

This looks great, I can't stop staring at it. I checked your recipe for the Sweet Vinegar slaw, sounds great too. Of course saved these in "favorites" Thank you for sharing.

thehungryartist said...

We love pulled pork sandwiches. This looks so great because it's so much lighter than pork shoulder. Will definitely try it -- thanks for posting!

Magic of Spice said...

Great looking sandwich!

Nan said...

Looks like a great recipe...it'll be on the menu this week.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails