Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Heirloom Tomato Salad with Buttermilk Dressing and Crumbled Goat Cheese


Fall is clearly making its way into East-Central Illinois. The corn in the fields have turned brown and the soybeans are moving from green to yellow. There's a chill in the morning air these days. We're harvesting the last of the produce from our garden as well. I always feel the that the last tomatoes of the season are the most flavorful. It may just be that I know that the days of walking out the door and coming back in with fresh tomatoes for dinner are almost past, or it could be that there's something in that morning chill that makes them more sweet and delicious.

Either way, now is when I look for ways to make our tomatoes the star of any dish I use them in. That's the case with this dish. The tomatoes were firm and sweet, with just the hint of acidity from the lemon juice, countered by the tang of onion and the creaminess of the dressing and goat cheese crumbles. Nancy an d I both went back for seconds and she finished off the leftovers the next day before I could even get home! All that flavor was only 73 calories with 3 grams of fat and 2 of fiber per serving.

Finally, if you're in the Champaign, Illinois area, please join me this Friday, Sept. 10, for a healthy cooking demonstration from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. at the Weight Watchers Center at 2223 S. Neil Street, behind the Biaggis. The demo is open and free to all. Weight Watchers will be providing door prizes.

Let's eat!

Heirloom Tomato Salad with Buttermilk Dressing and Crumbled Goat Cheese
Makes 6 servings
Ingredients:
For the dressing:
1/2 cup fat free mayonnaise
1/4 cup reduced fat buttermilk
3 tablespoons scallions, white and green parts thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, finely minced
1-1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
kosher salt to taste

For the salad:
6 medium heirloom tomatoes, cored and cut into wedges or chunks
1/2 cup onion, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 ounces crumbled chevre (soft goat cheese)
Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste

Directions:
Whisk together dressing ingredients and chill.

Combine tomatoes, onions, lemon juice, salt and pepper.

Divide tomato mixture between plates, drizzle with dressing and top with crumbled cheese.

Deal of the Day: A good serrated blade is best for tomatoes to keep from damaging them.

Heirloom Tomato on FoodistaHeirloom Tomato

16 comments:

ravienomnoms said...

This looks like heaven on a plate to me!

Lana @ Never Enough Thyme said...

A beautiful salad with some of my favorite flavors! How could you go wrong with buttermilk and goat cheese? Yum!

Debbie said...

I love goat cheese...the owners of the company I used to work for had a son who actually made and sold his own goat cheese...I would eat it every day! I never got tired of eating it! He had about 20 goats he would milk.

This is a lovely salad!

danasfoodforthought said...

This sounds perfect! A good heirloom tomato doesn't need much more than some goat cheese and a drizzle of dressing. Yum!

Isabelle said...

Heirloom tomatoes are so delicious that I tend to eat them with nothing more than a sprinkle of salt and pepper, but your buttermilk dressing sounds like a really intriguing change... plus, I've got a ton of goat cheese, so this recipe is totally getting made later this week!

Reen said...

Wow, this salad looks incredible! I m a Weight Watcher at Lifetime for a year and ALWAYS looking for new recipes. Yours are tops! 73 calories with the dressing? Really?

Anonymous said...

Could I substitute feta for goat cheese? I have feta on hand.

Scott K said...

Absolutely. Feta is a good lower-fat cheese, though it has a stronger flavor. Another possibility is blue cheese.

Scott K said...

Reen, thanks. The nutrition info comes from NutritionData.com. I don't normally like totally fat-free condiments, but when used in combination with other ingredients, they are very useful.

Chicago Cuisine Critique said...

You combined some of my favorite ingredients! This looks delicious! :)

Gree said...

I love the combinations, definitely the time of year for heirloom tomatoes!

Amanda Formaro said...

Looks wonderful! Man I love fresh tomatoes, going to miss them in the winter!

Tiffany said...

I like it, a lot! I have a weakness for buttermilk dressing....thanks for sharing!

City Share said...

Thanks for sharing this great recipe. I have never made buttermilk dressing, but I will have to give it a go.

The Mom Chef said...

I love buttermilk dressing but never even think about the option of making it myself because of the factor. Thanks for removing that roadblock for me!

Katie@Cozydelicious said...

What a wonderful end-of-dummer salad! Love it! Creamy dressing and bright tomatoes and tangy cheese... yum!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails