Thursday, September 2, 2010

Southwest Chili Turkey Burger


I love experimenting with recipes, trying dishes I've never made before or combining cuisines. But sometimes, my son Quinn calls me out and requests, "something simple." This dish, was a response to one of those requests.

I have to admit, it wasn't that hard to convince me. I love a good burger. The problem with most of them is that they rely almost exclusively on fat for flavor. If you use lean ground beef or, as I did here, ground turkey, you run the risk of having a dry, flavorless burger. You can solve both problems by adding some flavorful spices and raw veggies to the meat. In this case, I chopped up a fresh poblano pepper, jalapeƱo and some red onion, as well as some of my All-Around Spice Rub.

The peppers and onion kept the burger moist and the combination with spices like paprika and ground cumin in the rub made it full of flavor. I topped it with some goats milk cheddar and vegetarian chili and served it on a whole-wheat kaiser role with some baked fries and fresh cantaloupe.  The burger with chili (you'll need to add the information for your own cheese and buns) was only 230 calories with 10 grams of fat and 3 of fiber.

Let's eat!

Southwest Chili Turkey Burger
Makes 4 servings
Ingredients:
1 pound ground turkey
1 poblano pepper, diced
1/4 red onion, diced
1 jalapeno, minced
2 teaspoons All-Around Spice Rub
1 cup vegetarian chili
4 slices cheddar cheese
4 whole wheat kaiser buns

Directions:
Combine turkey, peppers, onion and spices and form into 4 patties. Over medium-high heat, grill patties about 5 minutes, turn, top with cheese and continue to grill 3 to 5 minutes, until cooked through.

Deal of the Day: I love using my cast-iron grill for making burgers!

7 comments:

danasfoodforthought said...

Sounds like such a filling and delicious meal for only 230 cals! Who even needs a bun when you have this much flavor??

Biren said...

That looks like a hearty burger for so few calories! Have a great Labor Day weekend!

Christina said...

Oh sweet heavens - I'm not usually a burger fan but BOY do you have my attention with this one!! Poblano peppers and chili?? This looks so delicious, I love it!

baking.serendipity said...

I love turkey burgers...this is the perfect Labor Day grilling recipe!

City Share said...

This looks great. I always like to get ideas for new flavor combinations for burgers. Thanks!

Spicie Foodie said...

Yummmm ! I love chili burgers. This looks like a great recipe and I love your spices and peppers, mouth watering.

redkathy said...

WOW these sound fabulous Scott. My neighbor has requested we prepare turkey burgers for our next joint kitchen date. I'll be sending her here to see this! Hope all is well with you and the family. Happy Labor Day!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails