Monday, October 25, 2010

Balsamic Rosemary Pork Loin with Roasted Potatoes and Vegetables


There is just something I love about a hearty, comforting Sunday dinner. At risk of showing my age, my childhood memories of Sunday evenings, watching "Maverick" and "The Wonderful World of Disney" with my family and the smell of pot roast with browned potatoes or corned beef and cabbage filling the house.

Dinner was always in the dinning room and we all had to be on our best behavior -- napkins on our laps, please and thank you, etc.

Nancy had similar experiences growing up and we are trying to do the same with our son Quinn.

One of my favorites for Sunday dinner is a good pork loin, slow roasted or braised, this cut is lean but can be moist and delicious. I tried this latest version this week. I loved the combination of herbs and spices that acted as both a wet rub for the pork and seasoning for the potatoes and vegetables -- sweetness from the balsamic vinegar and parsnips, earthiness from the rosemary and carrots, and a little tang from the garlic. And using mostly stock, instead of oil, for the wet rub helped keep this dish to only 238 calories with 4 grams of fat and 5 of fiber for a 4-ounce serving of pork, with the fat removed,  and a serving of vegetables and potatoes.

If that's not good enough, the leftovers can be used to make a wonderful Pork Stew.

Let's eat!

Balsamic Rosemary Tenderloin with Roasted Potatoes and Vegetables
Makes 12 servings
Ingredients:
3 pounds pork loin
4 medium parsnips, peeled and chopped into 1-inch chunks
4 medium carrots, peeled and chopped into 1-inch chunks
4 medium potatoes, chopped into 1-inch cubes
4 stalks celery, chopped into 1-inch chunks
1 cup, loosely packed, rosemary leaves
9 cloves garlic
1 shallot
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons chicken stock

Directions:
Preheat oven to 450F.

In a food processor, combine rosemary, garlic, shallot, salt, pepper, olive oil, vinegar and stock. Blend until slightly chunky.

Rub all sides of the tenderloin with 1/2 to 3/4 of the mixture. Place the tenderloin in a roasting pan and roast uncovered for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine remainder of the rosemary mixture with veggies and potatoes.

After the tenderloin has roasted for 15 minutes, add potatoes and veggies to the roasting pan, reduce heat to 350F and continue to cook for about 60 minutes, until the meat reaches an internal temperature of 145F.

Remove the tenderloin and let rest 10 minutes, while potatoes and veggies continue to cook.

Deal of the day: There are so many uses for a good roasting pan!

14 comments:

Renee Fontes said...

I love your pork recipes, they are always so delicious but with less guilt!

Cajun Chef Ryan said...

Scott,
This looks like my kind of pork tenderloin roast, love all the vegetables with it also.

Bon appetit!
CCR
=:~)

DailyChef said...

This looks delicious. I'm craving a tenderloin roast now...for lunch? Perhaps it's too early in the day.

ravienomnoms said...

That sounds really good! I love anything with balsamic!

Evan Thomas said...

This sounds very flavorful!

ARLENE said...

I think a love of pork is programmed into the DNA of most Italians, though my family always preferred the fattier cuts. I adore pork loins and tenderloins as well as very, very lean country boneless ribs (which we had tonight). This looks delicious and since Balsamic vinegar is another favorite, I'll have to give it a try.

Megan said...

I remember those great Sunday suppers and the Wonderful World of Disney! Ahhh, the memories. This would make a perfect addition to any Sunday Supper!

eatgreek.net said...

yummy!!!!! :D

Hester Chang said...

DE-LEESH-US!!!! Yum. It looks absolutely fantastic!

Yesim said...

i love balsamic and nice to have foods to make with it as much as possible:)

Mags @ the Other Side of 50 said...

Hubby just asked if I'd make him pork loin chops with rosemary tonight. It's a great combination, isn't it?

Biren @ Roti n Rice said...

That pork tenderloin looks fantastic! My two boys would love it. I like the web rub. It sounds really flavorful. I don't know why I never thought of making my own rub. I'll have to try this.

Mother Rimmy said...

I love all the root veggies you've used. Perfect with your tenderloin!

Lisa said...

This looks delicious. I love a good pork tenderloin. By the way, I'm holding a CSN giveaway on my blog and you're welcome to come by and enter. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2010/11/45-csn-giveaway.html

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails