Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Balsamic Rosemary Pork Loin Redux: Pork Stew


I'm sorry it has been so long since I've posted. September and October were incredibly busy months for me in my "real" job, culminating in three business trips in the last three weeks of October. I'm really looking forward to things quieting down. I'm not there yet, but I'm close.

So, today, a quicky follow-up to my last post, Balsamic Rosemary Pork Loin with Roasted Potatoes and Vegetables. That was a huge recipe, guaranteeing leftovers for all but the largest families. So what do you do with that leftover pork, vegetables and potatoes? Why, we make stew of course!

The trick in making stew from leftovers is moving quickly. You don't want your meat to dry out and your vegetables to be cooked to mush. They've been cooked once, all you really need to do is heat them up. We had 8 servings leftover and I wrote this recipe accordingly. Feel free to adjust it.

The wine in this stew marries so well with the rosemary and garlic flavors, they almost seemed to dance across my tongue. Wine has had that impact on me, so maybe it did the same for the herbs and spices in this dish. All I know is that everyone went back for seconds and we didn't bother to freeze the little bit that was left after that. It was lunch the very next day. One serving is only 317 calories with 7 grams of fat and 5 of fiber.

Let's eat!

Balsamic Rosemary Pork Loin Stew
Makes 8 servings
Ingredients:
2 pounds leftover Balsamic Rosemary Pork Loin, cut into bite-size chunks
8 servings of roasted potatoes and vegetables
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
4 cups chicken stock
1 cup hearty red wine

Directions:
In a medium to large sauce pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add the pork and cook just long enough for the temperature to come back up. Add the flour and coat the meat. Slowly add the wine and then the stock, stirring constantly as you do. Add the veggies and potatoes and continue to heat until the stew thickens. Remove from heat and serve.

Deal of the Day: I put this on my Christmas list: Amazon has this Anolon Professional 12-Piece Nonstick Hard-Anodized Cookware Set on sale for $180. It's normally more than $800!

4 comments:

Cookin' Canuck said...

What a hearty, comforting stew. We love to dip soft bread into the stew gravy to soak up every last remnant.

DailyChef said...

Yum! I could use a good stew.

Josie said...

That's such a good idea! I NEVER know what to do with leftover pork loin and reheating it for days later makes it so dry. This looks really good!

Sandy - Everyday Southwest said...

I love the combination of rosemary and pork. It reminds me of home.
Everyday Southwest is one year old! I want to make sure all my friends from foodbuzz have a personal invitation to join our Birthday give away... a beautiful Kitchenaid mixer. Visit our site all month long for chances to win!
http://www.everydaysouthwest.com/uncategorized/its-our-birthday-lets-have-a-fiesta/

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails