When your mom told you "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day," she wasn't far from the truth. For those of us trying to lose weight or live a healthier lifestyle, breakfast is a must. And no, coffee doesn't count!
Why is breakfast so important?
- Study after study has shown that the majority of people who have lost weight and kept it off eat breakfast.
- Eating early in the day prevents "starvation eating" later. In other words, it helps you say no to the cream-filled doughnuts your office-mate brought in and from over-doing it at lunch.
- Finally, it gives you the energy you need to get your day started.
But not all breakfasts are created equal. Try to include:
- High fiber grains, avoid that white toast
- Lean protein such as eggs or Greek yogurt
- Include fruits and vegetables
This dish is quick, easy, delicious and only 219 calories with 15 grams of fat, 2 grams of carbohydrate, 0 grams fiber and 16 grams of protein.
Tomato Basil Scramble
Makes 2 servings
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 large eggs
1/2 cup egg substitute
1 teaspoon dry basil
1 cup canned diced tomatoes, drained, divided
1/4 Parmesan cheese, sh
salt and pepper to taste
Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Whisk together eggs, egg substitute and basil. Pour egg mixture into skillet, and let set up for about 20 seconds. Stir with spatula or wooden spoon, add 1/2 cup of the tomatoes, Parmesan, salt and pepper and stir to distribute. Remove from the heat and allow the pan to finish cooking the eggs. Serve topped with remaining tomatoes.
Deal of the Day: Keep fruits both fresh and in sight with this Progressive International Chrome Wire Fruit Bowl.